What's new

X-box & Gamecube question (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Donnie,
As it stands now (subject to change), there aren't any VGA adapters that I'm aware of either first or third party. I'm sure that a VGA adapter will make it's way to the XBox soon enough.
Troy
------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

[Edited last by Troy LaMont on October 30, 2001 at 02:48 PM]

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
[snip]
Wrong thread.
[Edited last by BrianB on October 30, 2001 at 03:44 PM]

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
You can use a component to RGB transcoder, but you are looking at about $180 (plus an XBox component cable).
There is a likelihood that the custom Nvidia chipset can already do RGBHV, and may just need the right cable (possibly jumpered to unlock the mode) or some other way that Microsoft will eventually give us to get RGBHV.
If this is the case, there is an equal likelihood that Microsoft will hold it back for a while (along with stuff like Keyboard and Mouse controllers) to keep the "PC" stigma from getting an early association with the console.
Otherwise, a transcoder is the only way of doing it right. If said transcoder has to support 1080i, they aren't going to be cheap like Dreamcast VGA boxes (which really do jack) in the next couple of years.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Michael-
MS announced that they aren't ever making a mouse or keyboard. I doubt they would let a third party one be made unless it was included with an online game, and even then its iffy. MS isn't even letting a browser be made for the XB because its too PC-like.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Stolen from TeamXBox forums:
The following appeared in a UseNet [microsoft.public.xbox.games] posting by Jeff Henshaw, of the Microsoft Xbox development team, on 9-5-01:
Xbox has the ability to output VGA from a technical perspective, but home TVs (including HDTVs) are our primary focus. As a result, a VGA peripheral is not planned in the immediate future, but is something that may arise from either Microsoft or a 3rd party peripheral vendor should demand be great enough.
As expected.
Oh, it's a different topic, but come on Morgan. Where did Microsoft say that there will not ever be a mouse or keyboard. Enquiring minds want to know!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Oh, it's a different topic, but come on Morgan. Where did Microsoft say that there will not ever be a mouse or keyboard. Enquiring minds want to know!
I've seen comments that Microsoft themselves 'are not planning' mice or keyboards. Nothing at all to stop 'enterprising' thirdparties from supporting them. Of course, then there needs to be software support...
------------------
Nothing In Particular

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Saying that you are 'not planning' something is very, very different from saying that there will 'not ever' be something.
Oh I'm agree, Michael
wink.gif

------------------
Nothing In Particular

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I meant to say that MS isn't making any mice or keyboards. It would be in their best interest to do so, but MS is working to much to get rid of the PC image. Stupid move, if you ask me.
PS2 uses USB keyboards and mice. GCN and XB should have done the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks