GameCube/PS2/X-Box Connection to a Monitor Question

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Morgan Jolley, Aug 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'm going off to college and I fear I'm going to be stuck with my roommate's crappy 13" TV/VCR combo. How can I connect my GameCube/PS2/X-Box to my 19" flat-screen LCD monitor so I can play on that instead of his crappy piece? Is there a cable I can get or at least an adapter? I have the proper video inputs on my computer itself so I can watch video from a device, but because of the delay between the device and the video, it would be impractical.

2. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Ive looked all over for something like that, and I got it through Ebay. Search there for "monitor vga box".

For OK quality, use S-video VGA switches ($20). For high-def, use component VGA boxes ($80). S-Video looks kinda blurry on a monitor, but its OK.

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Here was the first couple of hits I got - it supposedly does Xbox and GC:

http://www.viewonline.com/pages/arti...ationgcvga.htm

I couldn't find anyplace selling it, though...

Here's one that looks like it might work:

http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/allmed...-group-559.htm

I wish the picture was bigger, but squinting at it, it looks right.

I've got a lot of game systems, so I'm used to digging up crazy universal cables, adapters, etc. [​IMG]

Other than that, you can use any a/v-to-vga box, or component-to-vga box, but I think the ones that directly use output from the console would be better video quality.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Could I get a regular a/v-to-vga box at a Radio Shack or something like that? I'd prefer to do it that way, simply for returning issues. Also, I don't mind if the image isn't perfect; it's just got to be good enough to play.

5. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Yeah, but I didnt know Radio Shack carried something like that. Better call and ask first.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I'm asking if Radio Shack carries something like that. I'll try to find out this week. Otherwise, I'm getting something online.

Thanks for the help.

7. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

Could I use this on the PC input of a plasma screen. I've got the s video and component used up and the PC is just sitting there.

8. Leo

Leo Second Unit

There is a product that lets you do Xbox, PS2, Gamecube to VGA: http://www.vdigi.com/ They only accept PayPal at this point. I ordered one and it shipped from HK on the 6th of October, so I'll be glad to give my feedback after it arrives.

A few details from the product page:
    Progressive Scan 480p, 720p, 540p / 1080i
    2 In 1 Out (YrPrPb In & VGA In; VGA Out) with switching
    XBOX, GC, PS2*HDTV Output Supported,*P.Scan DVD player,*& HDTV cable receiver.*
    High compatibility for CRT, LCD monitors
    Auto*signal detection.*
    Easy configuration
    Brightness adjustment

9. Vinito

Vinito Extra

aww shyiet, never knew i could do that. goodbye 10' tv, ps2 meet 17' monitor [​IMG]

10. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Well, I received my VDigi VD-Z3 today via US Mail (it shipped from HK on the 6th of Oct. Very professional packaging - included the Component to VGA transcoder, power supply, Xbox HD cable, detailed instructions and quick setup card for Xbox. So all I had to do was make sure the appropriate dip-switches were flipped all the needed connections made, and viola, I was up and running. I went into video settings to turn on 720p so I could test Soul Calibur. Let me say - oh my goodness, what a wonderful site. So for those of you interested in running your Xbox, PS2 or Gamecube in higher resolutions and are limited in funds (don't wanna fork over money for a HDTV display) or in college and have limited room space, then this $60 product is well worth it. - HiGHLY RECOMMENDED.

11. Tom Veillette

Awesome. Good to hear. i am very interested in this product, and was waiting for your review.
    I am interested in doing the same.
    I do have a quick question.
    My monitor has a MAX resolution of 800x600 (seriously, it's a 27 inch gateway Destination, all I can afford really. My good stuff went bye-byre because I have a daughter due in a month)
    Do you think that this will cause any problems?
    I'm afraid 800x600 will be too low for this unit.

12. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Not sure of the minimum resolution, but per this quote you should be ok:

Q: What monitor can use VD-Z3?

A: VD-Z3 provide a standard VGA signal (RGBHV & RGBs), most of the monitor with standard VGA input will support without any problems.

I have posted a question to the manufacturer.