What's new

Wow, really torn about getting M&K or not... (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
...I guess I should drive 100 miles to hear a 150 system, but I am just wondering if I am even going to like them.

I have read reviews (I have read hundreds of posts on many forums) that range from "2nd coming of Jesus" or "something that came out of a horses behind" - so don't know what to think.

I get them for very little, so price isn't an issue.

I know their reputation is excellent, but theur setup is finiky at best. Obviously, they are satellites and are only good to 80 Hz. I like music, and I worry that even the best subwoofer would still make me miss the midbass punch large speakers have.

Any advice. I think the speakers are really cool, and I have no doubt they are great for movies, but music abilities and setup worry me (setup isn't as big of an issue, I can handle it :D )

Elinor

Supporting Actor
>"I worry that even the best subwoofer would still make me miss the midbass punch large speakers have"

If you want midbass punch, they may not be right for you.

If you want a flat system, M&Ks with an M&K sub are excellent choices. My M&K sub does the

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I don't want bloated mid-bass, but something will be lost when splitting the work between the subwoofer and mains.

The other speakers I am looking at are larger Klipsch floorstanders (RF-35 size)

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Ken, I doubt we'll get anywhere in a bookshelf speakers vs. towers discussion.

It is possible to have a system that is *flat* that is composed of bookshelf speakers with a sub.

If it plots out flat, there is nothing lost. Flat frequency response is nothing too much, nothing too little, all frequencies the same db.

If you just prefer towers, that's fine. But my experience and opinion is, it's not *better* just different.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't recommend the M&K sub. While "musical" I think you can do better for your money.

Their speakers didn't do it for me and it wasnt't a case of bookshelf vs tower. It was really a case of the speakers were designed to only play to 80hz then get crossover'd to the sub. I do not like to have my sub on durinig music so they were fairly lightweight in that arena.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks