What's new

Wow, my SVS can't handle the new ATOC DVD!! (1 Viewer)

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
I played around with this scene some more and discovered that I start bottoming out at -11 from reference when the senator's ship explodes.
Again, i have calibrated with both Avia and my receiver's test tones. My sub is 1-4 db hot, though.

One other thing, I am extremely disappointed with the astroid chase scene sound-wise. The seismic charge explosions didn't seem to have the "oomph" that they should. I was playing the scene at -11, the same volume that my sub bottomed out on earlier.

KevinHunt

Stunt Coordinator
I have dual 16-46CS+'s w/ Samson 1000. I watched AOTC at -16 below reference. My subs are running about 2-3 dB hot. 16 below reference was as loud as I wanted to watch this movie. Never bottomed out but shook the room like mad. I could tell it wouldn't take much farther to hear some clacking. If anyone can watch the opening scene at reference w/o bottoming their sub(s), you've got one helluva setup. The siesmic charge scene I also didn't feel had the Ooomph I expected after watching it in the theater. It still sounded cool though. And from the execution scene and on, everything was pretty amazing. Thumbs up!!

Yogi

Screenwriter
I dont know how my Velo 12" sub will handle it but I'll be watching the ATOC tonight. Thanks for the tip guys, I'll be turning the bass down. I feel that too much bass interferes with the rest of the soundtrack. I am not a bass freak but do like an occasional kick in the gut with my sub.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Just out of curiosity:
I have a JBL PB12.... how will that handle AOTC and LOTR: FOTR EE?
I'd LIKE to be able to shake the floor with my bass, but I'm slightly more concerned with HAVING a WORKING bass with which to shake my floor with. :D
How low do the soundtracks go as far as Hz are concerned?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I think the Ep.I clocked at 5hz,don't know which scene.Hop over to SVS's site they have some cool "watrfall" ilustrations of a couple of dozens of bassy scenes from various movies.I expect Ep.II to be just as deep on occasions.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Brian
The first two movies you mentioned and most likely the last one also,,, have bass information in their soundtracks that go WELL BELOW what the JBL can hammer out.
I wouldn't get to bummed though, there is plently of 25hz on up bass information to make your JBL feel like it got a real good workout!
Just ease into things and turn her up till it says, aha ok, thats EEENUUFFFF! :)
All of those movies have some extremly deep bass in places that will make the best of subs cry when "pushed hard enough".
Enjoy them
Geoff

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I thought the bass in Episode was great, the first scene where the ship flew over was awesome but not to the extent that some of you are talking about. Could there possibly be a problem with my disc? I remember sitting there watching it and said to myself, man there was alot more bass at one of my local theaters. And that NEVER happens. The bass in my home theater usually blows the theaters away. LOTR Extended Edition really worked my subs. The lowest, loudest most sustained bass came when Frodo encountered the black riders or whatever they are called and he went to put on the ring and then was stopped. That scene was amazing.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Geoff, I have a PSB Subsonic 3 and an AAD C-10. I absolutely love the AAD C-10, I plan on buying another one and sellig the PSB.

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
My Sunfire True Sub MKII was making some odd sounds during that part, so I quickly turned it down. I will slowly have to turn it up to see at what point I can feel it without breaking my sub. I do have to admit I am jealous of you SVS guys, I just feel that my Sunfire is just too fragile in comparison.

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
What does a bottomed out sub sound like? I have an rca sub which I'm sure sucks so I'm trying to figure out what I should upgrade to.

John

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have a pair of Altec Lancing Voice of the Theater speakers and my 15's move violently durring that same passage on AOTC's. When the senators ship passes overhead the base is to much even for my 15's. The bass is deep and very powerfull, but it is anoying. The bass throughout the entire movie does not come close to the segment in the begining.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Adire DPL12 in a 5ft^3 EBS alignment, 18Hz Fb: No whimpers at 10dB below reference (small room). Exceptionally deep stuff. Much better movie than Ep. 1, I thought. And how 'bout that white shirt? ;)

Jim J

Second Unit
Jeff Said:
the first scene where the ship flew over was awesome but not to the extent that some of you are talking about. Could there possibly be a problem with my disc? I remember sitting there watching it and said to myself, man there was alot more bass at one of my local theaters.
I think the same thing, on initial ship fly-over. It was solid, don't get me wrong. Maybe much of the energy is centered at a small range of frequencies, and I am (and you are) sitting in a null. Time to switch seats (or get our hands on a waterfall) The ship exploding was completely overwhelming however.

I found the asteriod chase quite satisfying. Not so much the shock-wave, bit the bursting boulders. Very Nice

20-39CS+, port plug, Carver M500
it was evening so I didn't get above -12dB

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I might think the reason a few mention that the bass in the opening scene does not appear as deep as other places in the movie is,,, Your setting in a null, "or more likely" your sub or subs are not able to produce the frequencys that are in this scene. It is recorded very loud and very deep with it actually droping down in frequency even more as the ship turns prior to just landing and exploding.

I have not measured this with the RTA yet, but my guess is, this is in the low 20's and digging even much further down. Also at unusuall high spl and for a extended period.
Stuff this deep "usualy" doesn't last this long in a movie and isnt recorded "generaly" this loud.

Their are a number of spots in the flick that digs subsonic, as you might say. Much more felt than heard. A number of spots with 20hz stuff in this one, and few spots digging well below that.

Might those with the Earthquake Super Nova-15s, SVS-1646, DIY'ers, etc (no brand favor here*) and others that have subs that will reach this low, AGREE with me??

SVS will get something up I'm sure to verifi what is actually in the film and where. It should be quite interesting for those that don't find the opening scene that deep. Your gona be surprised....

All views expressed or implied are that of my own and not HTF. HTF is not affiliated with those views in anway way shape or form...

Cheers
Geoff

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Mine bottomed out too. SVS 20-39 CS (original driver). However, I run it 5db high of the mains so I was not really surprised. I am going to tune it down today and re-watch that scene. I was watching it at -10db off reference. The soundtrack kicks major ass IMO. I think it is VASTLY superior to TPM (the movie is too and I am one who liked TPM).

Marc

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Am I the ONLY ONE that feels that ATOC was mediocre at best! I love movies with loooow bass and this movie certainly had it...but the acting....UGH. Some of the "Love" scenes were un-watchable. Getting back to the audio mix....I thought the first half was rather flat, thin and most irregular! There were moments were the bass was extremely low and then parts where you expect the bass to be massive....and it wimps out (the sonic depth charge scenes)..visually stunning..but nothing else.The use of the rear channels was very thin in the first half. There were transitions where action panned to the back with little or no effect...or the effect decayed so rapidly as to become obvious. The last half of the movie came alive and reminded me of the Pod Race scenes in TPM. The light-saber scenes were awesome. When you compare this mix to the masterful mix on LOTR (and the even better EE) it makes one wonder if Lucas was on a holiday! This, IMHO, is not the reference standard for what THX EX can deliver. Still worth owning, however!!!!!!

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Finally watched it last night (from reading this thread it sounds like the forum shut down while we all went off to watch it). 20-39PC+ running 4db hot at -15db from reference. No problems at all (though I will need to locate some of the smaller objects that moved around the house during the movie).

I think the opening scene was recorded that way to grab the audience with sound...

As to the movie's quality, well, there is great action, stunning visual effects, and as we all know, a loud and deep sound track. No matter what, it's going to be a fun film to watch. That said, Anakin was a whiny brat that needed to be grounded for a month with no light saber. And no wonder he becomes Darth vader -- he's got the ultimate enabler in Padme (Oh, you killed the women and children, you poor thing. It's only human. Have you tried drinking a fifth of scotch?).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks