What's new

Wow, my SVS can't handle the new ATOC DVD!! (1 Viewer)

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I need to use my Subsonic filter but it adds a Hum that I cant stand so i put it away for now. I need to figure out why it does this because that little black box is wonderful but noisy:frowning:

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Troy,
i have a Hsu sub, but completely agree with you.
i've been posting about this in other forums all day, and eveyone thinks i'm whacked.
this mix sounds like sh*t on my system.
very unbalanced and LFE that is way over the top and/or inappropriately aggressive for the scene.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I may have to rent this disc after all, just to see what my 20-39PC + Buttkicker2 setup does with it.

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
Just watched AOTC on my new 214L AA Tempest and I had to turn down the bass a bit. My cousin who came over, while ringing the door bell, was wondering what was causing the pavement outside to shake along with my home. No bottoming out on this sub. This is the new Choice for a demo to friend and relatives to me. I agree the bass on AOTC is just plain sick!! BUT I Just Plain love iT!!!

I will be taking the movie to my brother's home tomorrow to try it out on his 20-39 pc+, I will have to recalibrate it. After moving its placement the sub has been bottoming out. We will be trying new placements and recalibrating with this movie tomorrow.

DonJ

Second Unit
Hey Tyson don't shake the house down. I don't want o see ya on the news saying"t was ATOC that did it."
My Paradigm PS1000 was about to shake my house down. When that shuttle scene came on I paused the movie to check sub level and it was at 10 below ref. It didn't bottom out though just rattle my windows, shook my living room kitchen and the rest of the house. :) But Ialso agree with the warning, WATCH YOU SUBS WITH ATOC.

Hank_P

Second Unit
I have a 20-39PCi and it performed flawlessly. I enjoyed every minute of bass in that movie..I think my couch moved about a foot by the end of the night, but it was great. My room is 17'x19', but I may have had the volume about two notches below reference as it was plenty lound and enjoyable at the level.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I have a SVS 20-39CS+/Samson 1000/ART-351, EQ'd flat +/-3dB, no subsonic filtering, calibrated with Avia (85dB all channels, 82dB on sub to account for ~3dB inaccuracy of RatShack meter with bass). With AOTC at reference level, I experienced no bottoming whatsoever and the LFE does not sound overcooked at all. The mix on this disc seems more coherent than that of TPM and accurately recreates what I heard in the theater. But boy, that opening flyby had me keeping an eye on the clip light! I feared for the structural integrity of my house after that scene! Glad to see the SVS didn't struggle at all through the entire bass assault.

ErichH

Screenwriter
I'll add here - The first fly by is definatly HOT!
I have an Ultra with a Crown K1 amp and it dusted the walls for me.
I dropped the sub level 1.5 db and all was fine.
The audio is outstanding on this disk, but watching my crown go red made me think about my calibration.

Fun Stuff!

Eric

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
USER BEWARE!! The new Star Wars Ep II DVD has too much bass! (:

I agree..they really ramped up the bass in this one. I broke out the trusty SPL meter and the overall level seem spot on...as distinguished from LOTR. Interestingly, the new DTS ES version of LOTR is not cut hot and the overall LFE track has been smoothed out. I think the New Star Wars EP II has some of the lowest bass I have heard. The fly-by scene was amazing! I was a little disappointed in that they decided to make the rears a little more subtle. I experienced nothing in this movie that came close to the Pod Racing scene for back channel aggressiveness. In a couple of scenes ships would fly by and not even pan to the back or sides and then other times they would...interesting for the anticipated "reference standard." I still believe LOTR is still the reigning champ for sound effects!

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
So are all the people who bottomed out running passive subs with no subsonic filter? If so, then it sounds like the bass just goes too low for your sub to handle. I'm guessing that's why people with PCi's don't have a problem.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Maby I should just get another Ultra so I can handle the ship flying by ;-) or maby it's time to try that port stuffer SV sent along?

Rumble Rumble

BTW, the end scene where the Republic army ships are taking off has almost as much as the scene in chapter 1.

Eric

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
No problems watching all the above mentioned glorious scenes @ -6 dB to -7 dB below REF level (observed 108 dB to 109 dB / RS Meter Dial = 110 / Speed = FAST / Weight = C)!!! HT Setup REFERENCED Calibrated via Video Essentials DVD (w/dedicated LFE Test Tone).
• HT/family Room: 20' x 30' w/10' high vaulted ceiling
• JBL S26 Fronts & Surrounds / JBL S-Center
• SVS 25-31PCi (VE LFE REF Calibrated = 81 dB AVG - where the highest swing of the RS SPL Meter needle just touches 83 dB & lowest swing touches 79 dB)
My brother was over and we'll watch (feel) the entire movie this Friday NITE, with about a dozen family / friends over!!!
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Phil

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
I too bottomed out my CS ultra on the explosion at the beginning of AOTC. First time it's ever happened except for the THX trailer that comes on both the SW dvds.
1)I have the CS Ultra
2)room is roughly 10 wide X 24 long X 12 high
3)distance between the subwoofer and the key listening positions - 3.5 feet (just no where else to put it in this room)
4)calibraged with AVIA to 85 db. I usually listen at -10 from reference. I have also double checked with my receiver test tones (denon 5800) at 75 db.
5)the rest of my speakers are set to small

I don't have any subsonic filtering or anything else between the receiver -> amp -> sub.

I was listening at -10 or -11 when it bottomed out, and promptly turned it down 1 or 2 db. I need to listen to it again and see if i can find where the threshold is.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
My 20-39PC+ passed Clones with flying colors at 3 dB under "reference" - I thought the house was going to collapse though! I'll agree, the LFE track is way overcooked but loads of fun.

I'm running the sub about 2dB "hot". My "reference" level on the master volume is -15. That is the volume setting where I achieve 75 dB on the surround test tones and 77 dB on the sub test tone at the key seating position as measured with a professional grade B&K SPL meter mounted on a tripod. I do not calibrate reference to 80 dB or 85 dB test tones like some other HT enthusiasts - it is simply too darn loud for my tastes.

I was running the master volume at -18 for Clones and I hit solid peaks of 114 dB at 10 feet from the sub so I know I was pushing it very hard and that is probably near the safe limit for it. It never sounded strained at all though, and just kept belting out massive LFE hits that just left me shaking my head in disbelief that it didn't bottom out.

My SS filter is set to 20 Hz and all three vent ports are open. That SS filter really helps prevent bottoming, as I'm sure many of the LFE hits in Clones extend well into the subsonic range - exactly the region where the cone excursion really skyrockets on the 20-39 series of subs.

Regards,

Ed

Todd_B

Second Unit
I'll jump in and say my 20-39cs w/the improved driver took the best AotC could dish out....chewed it up and spit it back out :D :emoji_thumbsup:
My ht room is 14x10, the SVS is calibrated to 78 dbs, and is being fed by a PSA-1 amp. No filters at all.
BTW, the end scene where the Republic army ships are taking off has almost as much as the scene in chapter 1
Agreed!
Todd B

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I Think im going to calibrate back to 75db becuase 85 is too loud and i dont think i can hit reference with it at 85. Like i said earlier I hit 115 db about 12 feet from the sub when the ship exploded in the begining and this was about 7 or 8 under reference.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
My Velo HGS and Earthquake Supernova subs love this ATOC Disc :emoji_thumbsup:
Just remove all breakables off the walls and nearby shelves first. :D

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I'm running two 16-46CS+ subs with the port blockers in off a Samson 1000 and a BFD. I calibrated with VE then adjusted the BFD based off that one guy's site, sorry can't remember which, but its the one with the nice excel spreadsheet and 21 tones starting at 16Hz and going up up to 160Hz. I found by pumping the subs up 3dB it smoothed them out a bit when blending with the mains. I also have a peak at 16Hz 5dB above 20Hz, but I don't know how far down it goes.

I watched AOTC with the receiver set 3dB below reference, which is louder than I normally go, and I thought it sounded wonderful. I didn't think it was overcooked at all and I never bottomed it. That definitely had the best bass I've heard yet.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
There is no such thing as too much bass,only wimpy subs!
I had watched this movie at full reference,and no bottoming out at all.The subs were calibrated 2db hot taking the RS meter correction into the equitation.
The subs are dual Shiva 12^ft box with a Mackie M-1200,and a BP 1503 with 2 15" prs in 5.7^ft box,with a Crown[forget the model number]pro amp in bridged mode[1100w].
The room is 14x27x8,and I sit 10ft from the subs.
I thought that TPM was a better track overall,more dynamic for sure,but the afore mentioned opening from ATOC is quiet memorable.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks