Wow, my SVS can't handle the new ATOC DVD!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy_K, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Troy_K

Troy_K Stunt Coordinator

USER BEWARE!! The new Star Wars Ep II DVD has too much bass! (:

The first sceen with the Senator's ship is an absolute killer. My properly calibrated system could not handle it at even 7 db below reference. Most bassy scenes in the first 30 minutes could barely be tolerated at 10 db below reference, whereas the rest of the soundtrack was much more attenuated. I can't see how one could listen to this DVD properly without turning the bass way down! I already have my system calibrated with sub out at -12db, so I can't go any lower. This is actually annoying.

Anybody else noticing similar performance with their disc?

Now I know why the theater was vibrating so badly when I watched this at the local multi-plex. That bass is just too damn loud. Never thought I would say such a thing. If my SVS can't handle this, what the hell can?

I have an SV 20-39 CS+ with over well over 700 watts of power dedicated to it.

Troy

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Troy,

1)which SVS do you have?
    2)how large is the room?
    3)what is the distance between the subwoofer and the key listening positions?
    4)what method did you use to calibrate the subwoofer?(AVIA,VE,RS SPL meter,ect).
    5)do you have the rest of your speakers set to small/large?

I haven't tried the new SW disc yet but TPM really extended low and loud so it wouldn't surprise me if they sound engineers thought they had to do something even more "potent" for this DVD.

Another possibility is the disc is recorded 4dB louder than normal like LOTR?

TV

3. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

Finally, something I can use to push my Blueprint 1503 sub a bit (1300 watts going to it, and dual high excurion 18 inch PR's). I'll have to rent this ASAP - thanks for the tip!!

4. CurtisBilly

CurtisBilly Extra

I found myself getting up on three occasions to turn down the bass level on my sub. Seems like they got the sub level wrong.

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

This sounds interesting. I will not be listening at -7 though. That's to much for me to take or the neighborhood. I will let you know how my meager duel ct 150 setup takes the punishment. I have been waiting for this to come out. I have not seen it yet.

6. Dave Vaughn

Dave Vaughn Stunt Coordinator

Just like LOTR, AOTC bass is cooked[​IMG] (That isn't a bad thing is it?). It has great sound, also, the EX track is utilized very well and the rear surrounds really come alive!

7. Adam Horak

Adam Horak Stunt Coordinator

The opening flyby scenes had what was probably the loudest sustained bass I have ever heard on my system. I was very worried my 20-39PCi was going to bottom out, but it passed with flying colors[​IMG]
    Past the first 30 minutes of the film, the sound settles down considerably. I was worried that the seismic charges in the asteriod field might pose a problem, but they were nothing compared to the opening flyby.

8. Todd_Petersen

Todd_Petersen Stunt Coordinator

I have to go out to eat so I will be back later but quickly first.

I botttemned myself. THIS DVD AOTC STAR WARS HAS SICK BASS.

I had my system properly calibrated with the Avia to 85db with the Sub 12 feet away. I just used Avia to set it up and I think i may go back to my straight test tones for it seems to loud.

I bottemned at the THX intro which i hear is normal -7 on the receiver "not even reference". Then there is a scene when they are chasing that girl for trying to kill the queen "senator" and the little ship dropped and it made a quick pop at -8 on the receiver.

I turned the bass down 2 db and it seems better.

I did get the SPL out in the beggining when the ship exploded and I hit 115db at -8 on th receiver with the bassed turned down from the previous time watching it.

This BAss is sick

Becarful out there bass owners

9. Todd_Petersen

BTW I have a Ultra SUB forgot to mention

10. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

11. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

I agree with Troy. The senator ship scene had MASSIVE bass. I had my dual 20-39CS+ at -3db, and it was rumbling the whole room like TPM never did.

I was afraid of what else was coming so I turned the bass to -8db (and upped general volume to -10db). The seismic charges were nothing compared to that first bit (though this may be due to turning it down to -8db).

Comparing to TPM, I thought TPM had the slightly better soundtrack in terms of "fun" and surround activity. The last 40 min of AOTC, though, was right up there with TPM.

Joe

12. Todd_Petersen

13. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

i actually turned it up to ref level for the first five min or so just for fun. my svs 16-46 pci didnt bottom out. sub is calibrated to the same dB level as mains (using ovation software s&v home theater tune up disc + radio shack meter).

that silver ship and the explosion after the landing really shook the house.

14. Troy_K

Troy_K Stunt Coordinator

Let's make sure that you all (Tom) don't think I'm complaining about my SVS. I love that thing, and it has never dissapointed me. I also have it very carefully tweaked and calibrated. I've used Avia, S&V, and VE. I also have a BFD to get me a smooth FR in my room.

The bass is overcooked on this DVD! Unlike LOTR, the rest of the soundtrack is not loud. If anything, it's not loud enough. Would love to see some waterfalls on that intro scene.

Overall, I don't like this mix. I've only seen the first 30 minutes of the DVD so far, so I can only speak of that. It makes my sub sound poorly as if it can't handle anything. I'm sure a subsonic filter and limiter would do the trick here, but I've never needed this before with any other movie.

Oh yea, all speakers are set to small, and calibrated at about 80db with AVIA. The sub is about 2-3 db hot at the most, but it's turned down all the way it can go at -12db. I figure that's OK, b/c I rarely listen at master volume above -15. Occassionally I like to shake the place with Toy Story 2 and TPM, but rarely go above -5 db even when testing the limits. Never had any bottomming out problems like I'm experiencing with AOTC at even -10 db!

Alot of the problem may also be the doors, windows and picture frames vibrating and rattling. Definitely a lot of this going on with this DVD.

Troy

15. Jason Reich

Jason Reich Stunt Coordinator

Ran at ref level also, no signs of disstress on my 22-31pci calibrated with VE- not running it hot. Very impressive bass.

16. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I clipped my amp on my ported 1503 DIY sub but a quick flick of the switch on my bfd cured that. I run one for low level listening and music that has a little more bass(house curve) than the flat eq I watch movies with. I found that even though the bass was plentiful it was very well recorded. This movie gives the surrounds something to do for a change[​IMG]
    Then again I also found the soundtrack to be compressed a bit. The difference between low volumes and high volumes did not seem to have as wide of margin or difference. I like that. You don't feel like you got to turn it up on dialogue and down on explosions.

17. Troy_K

Troy_K Stunt Coordinator

Those of you with SVS PC's, I think those all have limiters to prevent bottomming out, right? That may be why you are all reporting no problems, I think.

Troy

18. Todd_Petersen

The beginning of this movie will be one of my demos I will do for people now. I think im going to just go back to calibrating with my receivers test tones as I know i can easily play EPII at reference.

19. You guys must be calibrated wrong. I hear the radio shack DB meter is a bit inacurate with bass. I used a comercial grade DB meter that my dad uses at work to calibrate and at reference my 16-46PCi is at -6db compared to the fronts which are +3/0/+4 respectively. I have never had my sub bottom out. I will have to try AOTC when I get home to see though.

20. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I watched AOTC at reference level on my single SVS 20-39CSi and had no bottoming.
    However, I have a small room and use the ART351 to filter 19hz and under. You guys running without a highpass are learning what happens when you don't filter below the tuning point [​IMG] Also, you can't expect reference level 15-25hz bass in a cavernous room with many open doorways to other areas of the house. Just ain't gonna happen.
    I usually run 3db hot but for AOTC I dropped the LFE by 2 notches. The LFE does seem a tad high but not wildly so. Check your listening positions' frequency response for any nasty peaks.