What's new

Would there be any interest in an updated DVD of "The Piano"? (1 Viewer)

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
There would be interest from me, for sure.

I've long been a fan of this movie, and it had two Oscar-winning performances and an Oscar-winning screenplay. The current DVD is atrocious.

I have searched to see who has the rights... I think it's Miramax, which has been slow to revisit its old product on DVD. I don't know how high the demand would be for this, but I'd buy it the day it came out.

I really think this would have won Best Picture, had it not been released the same year as "Schindler's List."

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
There would be interest from me, for sure.

I've long been a fan of this movie, and it had two Oscar-winning performances and an Oscar-winning screenplay. The current DVD is atrocious.

I have searched to see who has the rights... I think it's Miramax, which has been slow to revisit its old product on DVD. I don't know how high the demand would be for this, but I'd buy it the day it came out.

I really think this would have won Best Picture, had it not been released the same year as "Schindler's List."

Jim Moore

Agent
I would certainly be interested in a newer DVD release of it. I am also dying to have Campion's earlier film "An Angel At My Table."

Jim Moore

Agent
I would certainly be interested in a newer DVD release of it. I am also dying to have Campion's earlier film "An Angel At My Table."

George See

Second Unit
As much as I loved the movie, the extras would have to be pretty substantial to get me to double dip.

George See

Second Unit
As much as I loved the movie, the extras would have to be pretty substantial to get me to double dip.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Yes, I would buy a new release as long as they make it anamorphic this time. Also, I do not think Miramax is the rights holder. It would be Artisan.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Yes, I would buy a new release as long as they make it anamorphic this time. Also, I do not think Miramax is the rights holder. It would be Artisan.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The current DVD is actually quite detailed for a 4x3 lbxed transfer...but suffers from a bit of EE. Of course, being Miramax, we'll probably get EE on the new 16x9 version too :angry:

I would love a new transfer/DVD edition. Also the audio on the current disc is 2.0 DD. I'd love a proper 5.1 DD or DTS mix :D :D :D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The current DVD is actually quite detailed for a 4x3 lbxed transfer...but suffers from a bit of EE. Of course, being Miramax, we'll probably get EE on the new 16x9 version too :angry:

I would love a new transfer/DVD edition. Also the audio on the current disc is 2.0 DD. I'd love a proper 5.1 DD or DTS mix :D :D :D

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Saying that there's a "bit" of EE on this is like saying an alcoholic likes to drink a "little." I have a 4x3 set and it was VERY hard to watch. Both this and "The Crying Game" need new SEs from Lion's Gate-- badly.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Saying that there's a "bit" of EE on this is like saying an alcoholic likes to drink a "little." I have a 4x3 set and it was VERY hard to watch. Both this and "The Crying Game" need new SEs from Lion's Gate-- badly.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Rob,

Thank you for mentioning that. The PCM on the laserdisc of the Piano is absolutely the statement soundtrack as to what is "right" about 2.0 uncompressed PCM. That scene where they're carrying the piano in the forest and they drop it and it resonates...absolutely chills. I must have watched that laserdisc at least 7 times and each time that scene just knocked me to the floor.

I'll just dream about a DTS 5.1 soundtrack...but it probably still won't touch that PCM on the LD :D :D :D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Rob,

Thank you for mentioning that. The PCM on the laserdisc of the Piano is absolutely the statement soundtrack as to what is "right" about 2.0 uncompressed PCM. That scene where they're carrying the piano in the forest and they drop it and it resonates...absolutely chills. I must have watched that laserdisc at least 7 times and each time that scene just knocked me to the floor.

I'll just dream about a DTS 5.1 soundtrack...but it probably still won't touch that PCM on the LD :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks