What's new

Would following work to allow me to record 2 shows with standalone tivo? (1 Viewer)

GeorgeVT

Agent
I have a digital cable box. I was thinking of getting standalone tivo/replaytv. I know they only have 1 tuner. But what about this:

- I split cable coming out of jack and 1 cable goes into tivo/replaytv while other cable goes into my digital cable box. The TIVO can then change channels and record one show right? Well if I take the svideo out of my digital cable box and plug it into svideo in of TIVO couldnt tivo record that channel as well thats coming in from digital cable box?

If above doesnt work...what product is out there that I could use for digital cable that can record 2 shows at once?

Thanx

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Stand alone Tivos only have one MPEG encoder so they can only record one thing at a time. There are some digital cable PVRs that will record two shows at once but the scheduling process and features are not up there with Tivo.

-Robert

Edit:I see you already tried the cable based PVR and satellite is not an option. Two Tivos and two cable boxes seams like your only option.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
You could always merely split the cable before the box and run one end into your VCR. The PVR can then record any channel off the cable box, while your VCR can record any analog unscrambled channel independently.

If you need to record two digital/scrambled analog channels, you'll need a 2nd cable box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks