What's new

Would anybody here buy "The Tracey Ullman Show" or "Tracey Takes On..."? (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I am a fan of the consummate talent of Tracey Ullman. A singer and an actress with a vocal range that would make Meryl Streep jealous, I just find it a shame that Ullman's work is so under-represented, if at all represented, on DVD.

So, would anybody here buy season sets of either of her programs?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

YOUR AD HERE.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I think a lot of people would buy "The Tracy Ullman Show" but mostly because of the "Simpsons" shorts. They'd undoubtedly be a bigger draw than the show itself.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
I haven't seen TTUS since it's original. It was always a big draw for me on Sunday. Season sets of this would be greatly appreciated, and not just for the Simpson shorts.

I'm a little surprised that HBO is seemingly ignoring TTO. It was one of there most popular series in the late 90s; winning critical praise, awards, and good ratings. Again, another series that I want on DVD.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I'd fall in to this catagory, but only because I never got to see the show when it originally aired, but the Simpsons would help encourage me to buy it, and if I liked it there would be no harm in that at all.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Is this why they haven't released more of the Simpsons shorts on The Simpsons DVD sets (or one DVD set with all of the shorts)?

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
All the original simpsons shorts were suppose to be on Simpsons: Season 1... For some reason, the idea was done away with...

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Both of her shows were brilliant, and I'd love the opportunity to own complete runs of them on DVD.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'd buy at least the first couple seasons of Tracey Takes On. Although almost all of her characters made me laugh, I have a special place in my heart for Trevor, The Queen and Mrs. Buggé (and Hugh Laurie as Timmy!).

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'm more of a Ruby Romaine and Chic person myself.

Anyway, as bonuses for TTO, I'd like to see the specials "Tracey Takes On New York" and "Ruby Romaine Presents: The Trailer Tales" as bonus features.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

The 1976 episode of TTO was hilarious. "Does she fly...or does she die?"

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'd just like to see all of the original Simpsons shorts come out on DVD. While I did love the Tracy Ullman Show, I don't think I'd get the series on DVD.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Perhaps the bulk of the original Simpsons shorts are being held so that they will be a selling point for potential future TUS releases. That's smart, I think as obsessive Simp-sonians will snap them up just to get that content. I, however, want both TTO and TUS for Tracey herself. I think our only chance of seeing Fox's TUS is if the TTO release does well.

One word of caution: TUS was, in it's own way, a variety show. That means songs & music clearances. Don't say I didn't warn you.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Also, I believe that Tracey had something in her contract regarding any spinoffs that came out of the TUS series. Perhaps the original shorts cannot all be released separately from the series without her permission. She also had a clause in her contract that stated she was supposed to receive residuals from any spinoffs. However, I don't believe she was ever able to get any from The Simpsons. Perhaps because the shorts were created by an outside source and were not actual sketch characters on the show.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I want the Ullman show in complete season sets, with the Simpsons shorts in their proper place. It was an excellent show, and much of the cast and crew went on to do the Simpsons' spinoff series. (Specifically, the cast included Dan Castellanetta and Julie Kavner; the executive producers were James L. Brooks and Sam Simon, and some other writers moved to "The Simpsons" as well.)

I suspect the big problem with getting the Ullman show to DVD would be the usual problem: music rights. Every episode featured musical numbers, as I recall, and they were part of the show (performed by the cast) so they can't just be taken out.

Dustin Elmore

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen the show in quite some time Jaime, were the musical numbers created specifically for the show? If so then there would be no licensing issues. I don't recall muscial guests and you mentioned that the cast performed them. However even if they weren't original songs, as long as the original artists didn't perform them, the cost would be FAR less to include them.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
They were real songs, often show tunes, performed by the cast members. But a DVD release would have to pay the copyright owners of all those songs.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
In regard to Tracey Takes On, there were 4 seasons produced for HBO which produced 11, 16, 11 & 12 episodes respectively, including "best of" shows.

This doesn't include the specials

Tracey Takes On New York (which inspired the series) Trailer Tales (which followed the series)
Class Act (1992 w/ Michael Palin)
Live & Exposed (the most recent special)

Not sure how the series will be released. Perhaps a 2-disc set for each season. Or 2 multi-disc sets with 2 seasons each. Either way I want it all along with the specials.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks