What's new

would anybody buy a marantz sr7200 today knowing the problems with the x200 series (1 Viewer)

Steve R

Grip
A salesman/owner of a audio shop told me yesterday that he has not had any problems with the units he has sold. However, he has heard or various problems. I asked him if marantz nad contacted him in any way regarding handeling such issues. he said no.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I really don't know. All the years of late Elementary, High School and College, I was busy surrendering part of my hearing to Marantz and it's wonderful sound. ;) But now I just don't know. If you're thinking of an OTC purchase at a decent local shop...I would give it a try. But when dealing with any equipment that has issues...even potential issues...I would avoid low ball pricing on the web.
I'm sure John and the other owners will have something to say before long.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
I agree with Paul. Marantz has had issues, most of which seem to be resolved. I had a 7200 with the original batch of problems (pops, etc.) and traded it on a 8200. Marantz isn't the only manufacturer with QC problems in the last couple of years. Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, Denon, and Rotel also come to mind just from reading on this site.

Buy the unit from a local dealer, with a guarantee that you can return it if it has issues. Don't order it from the Internet. In the end, the Marantz sound will win you over.

Good luck!

Pete

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
I must admit the other posters are right. Why would somebody buy something from Marantz, knowing the potential issues? Just FOR THE SOUND. I have bought Marantz three or four times and always was astonished for the sound it delivers. Furthermore, most of the problems have been related to particular bunches of units, so chances are that you get a problem free one. For instance, the representative of Marantz here in catalonia told me that no unit with clicks and pops problems have ever entered... it depends on when you are. Also I would follow the advice given by the others and buy in a store that has an easy return policy, so that you can return it in case of trouble...

Jakob B

Auditioning
I thought I could beat the odds. I purchased a SR7200 a few months ago over the Internet and returned it because of the typical problems. Prior to the purchase, I spoke to the Internet company over the phone and they said they never had any problems, which ironically is what all salespersons, even from other stores, said when I asked the same question. When I had the defective unit, I called Marantz. Based on the serial number, my unit was manufactured last year and that units made after Dec 01 are corrected.

I eventually went to a local B & M shop, paid the additional 150 difference, and now have piece of mind.

Jakob

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Online, Cambridge Soundworks (hifi.com) has assured me that their stock is "fresh" from the updated models, and they are an authorized dealer.

Considering the fact that I bought my 6200 the week they hit the stores and I have yet to have an issue, Yes, I would buy it. I am actually thinking about upgrading to an 8200 in fact...

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I bought my 5200 about 3 weeks ago online refurbished and I've had no problems at all. Got my 5200 for $380 and it works perfectly.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I forgot to mention that I bought it from accessories for less (www.ac4l.com) and they are authorized, so I got a 1 year warranty along with it. Thats perfect for me because I will most definitely upgrade to the 7200 within a year.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
What would be the best and least expensive amp addition to my SR 6200? A pair of MA700's??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks