What's new

Worthy amp for my Boston Acoustics VR-M90's (1 Viewer)

Miles Abbey

Agent
I’m looking for a amp with 5.1 or 6.1 dd and dts to power my new vr-m90. I’m currently using a Yamaha RX-V995. What do you guys prefer for a good amp for home theater as well as a good musical amp?

Thanks,

Miles

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
I can't help you with an amp but I am interested in your opinion of the VR-M90's. I have VR-M60's and love the way they sound but have not found a dealer carrying the 90's. My local dealer has the 80's on display but I was not impressed with the sound compared to the 60's especially throwing in the price differential. Were you able to compare the 60's to the 90's and if so what are your thoughts? I am powering my system with a Yamaha DSP-A1 and am pleased with the sound quality although I am considering connecting a separate amp just because I keep hearing about what a difference it would make.

Miles Abbey

Agent
I'm really happy with the vr-m90's, but I can't tell you how they compare to the 60's or 80's as I've never heard them. My set was special ordered through my local dealer without previously auditioning them.

I have VR-M 90s in front, and VR-M 50's as surrounds, plus the VR-MC center channel, VR-MEX rear surround, and PV-1000 sub-woofer. I had everything powered by an Integra DTR 7.1, which is actually a 6.1 channel receiver. I was not happy with the sound the Integra produced through the 90s, and have added a Bryston 4B ST amp for those two channels. Now I'm happy with the sound. The Integra had very little bass output, and the sound seemed "squashed" (my own attempt to describe it). With the Bryston, there is quite ample bass, and the sound has opened up quite a bit. This brought my system from 100 Watts per channel to around 300 Watts for the front L&R. Quite a difference.

I liked the 60s, and almost got them for my front speakers. However, when I heard some movies through the 90s, I was able to very distinctly hear every element of sound in each scene (I think it's referred to as accurate imaging and placement). This was particularly noticeable in the Matrix shootout scene. Since the 50s were very close to the 60s, and I liked the sound, I used 50s for surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks