What's new

Worst Blind Buy? (1 Viewer)

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Most all of my TV shows are blind buys, and there's only one I hated: Xena Season 1. Thank goodness for E-Bay.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I don't own a lot of TV series on DVD, so none of mine have been blind buys. I only purchase TV series that I have an interest in seeing again. If I didn't watch the series I wouldn't blindly buy the DVD set for it.

Louis C

Supporting Actor

Colin, actually Rabbit-Proof Fence was a made-for-HBO TV (Movie). Granted, it wasn't a series, but it was TV.

Kyle**S

Stunt Coordinator
Rabbit-Proof Fence had a theatrical release before it started being shown on HBO; it was not an HBO original. I'm pretty sure it's not even an American film.

~~~~~

I have been satisfied with all my TV blind buys.

I bought the first two seasons of The Newsroom only having seen the TV reunion movie and parts of the third season, but since I had seen some of that series, I guess it wasn't completely blind.

I bought Nip/Tuck Season One blind, knowing that it came from Ryan Murphy (Popular) and got great critical reviews.

And I recently bought The Tick: The Entire Series! blind wanting to check out Ben Edlund's pre-Firefly and Angel work. It's not a great series - there are a few bad eps - but it is pretty good as a whole. That show I completely overlooked when it was on the air, thinking it was stupid. It is ridiculously over-the-top, but it's not supposed to be taken seriously. I can see why it didn't catch on with mass audiences.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Liz, I thought the same thing when I saw that cover. Here's an old thread I started on the subject:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=196346

I don't know if you've seen the ending, or if you're watching as they come out, but it's technically not a spoiler. Here's what I said in the other thread:

If you want to quibble, it really isn't a spoiler; it shows the alternate timeline Voyager arriving at San Fran, which is different from what happened when Janeway altered time. Still, anyone who sees that knows they get home. Yes, that's not the biggest surprise in the world (chances were low they'd end up stranded), but it's still kind of lame to just spell it out right there, with viewers having 24 episodes to go until that event.

But, technically or not, it has the same effect and was a rather poor choice.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

Did you not pay attention to Season Two? They started building up large arcs which carried over to Season 4 now.

As for me, movie wise it was the Sixth Sense. What a horribly, HORRIBLY boring movie. It didn't help I knew the ending before hand - but still, it was SO SLOW. SO VERY INCREDIBLY SLOW.

As for TV Shows on DVD, I think the Osbournes. I liked it and all, but I really don't care to keep it as part of my collection. The novelty has worn off I suppose.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
The earlier post reminded me-add Mr. Show to my list as well. I couldn't get through 10 minutes-utterly annoying.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Best of Rocky & Bullwinkle free DVD from Papa John's with large purchase.

Upon seeing the first 10 minutes, I knew I should have went with "Weekend at Bernies" or "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure"

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator
Seasons 1&2 of Little House On The Prairie. Not because I don't like the show but the company that's putting this series out is doing a lousy job. The opening is only shown on the first ep of each disc. I should have read a little more about them first. Anyone wanna buy them let me know.

Randy

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
And I do not count guest stars returning for one episode as an arc of any significance though 2 episodes in Season 2 were standouts to me when certain characters from Season 1 did return. ("And Then There Were None" and "Identity Crisis")

Don't get me wrong. I think CSI is well made and I enjoyed it to a certain extent. But it's not the kind of show where I have to watch the next episode straight after the last one. There's no hook to keep you watching every episode and I often went several days before watching another episode. I could watch an episode from say Season 2 or 3 and I doubt the characters will have changed at all nor would I need to know anything that has happened previously to be able to watch it. I am not saying this is a bad thing per se as it is just a different approach to a TV series than say 24 or Buffy. It was simply my personal preference and why I was disappointed with it.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
For me, it's gotta be the mini series "Taken", which describes how I felt after paying 60-some bucks for this snooze fest.

John Lloyd

Second Unit
As much as I hate to say it, "Kids in the Hall" season 1 was a real disappointment for me. I remember watching the show quite often on Comedy Central in the early 90s and really enjoyed it at that time. However I have only laughed sporadically through the first 12 episodes.

To be fair, I have noticed that a lot of my favorite characters and sketches have not appeared. Perhaps the show got off to a slow start, but I will probably only rent the next season.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

Yeah I hear ya. Seasons Three and Four expand on the characters, but not as much as you might want. It really does depend more on individual cases.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I haven't watched my season 3 yet, but I understand they included the openings from that season onward due to fan complaints. In fact, I believe they offered to send a disc containing all of the season 1/2 openings to someone on this forum. Not an ideal solution, but still a nice gesture.

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
Are we talking about movie or TV titles? If movies, then I couldn't say because if I hated it I sold it off long ago. :)
If TV, I didn't particularly care for "Strangers with Candy" after I bought Season One. I also bought "Smallville" S1 blind, watched a couple of episodes but didn't get into it much, so I never watched the rest. I'm holding on to that one, though, so I can go back and watch it one day.

Joseph G.

Agent
The post is suppose to be for whats your worst blind buy for a television series. Sorry for the confusion.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip

After the pilot, the series is really formulaic for at least 6-7 episodes. The series gets better at the end of season 1, but season 2 is where it really gets good. Still, even though I'm a comic fan and approached the show from that aspect, I've yet to purchase the series myself. Most likely because I'm trying to keep the number of ongoing TV series on DVD down. But by next year, Buffy and Angel will both be done with DVD, so I'll probably go for Smallville.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Highlander Season 1 & 2. I really came to enjoy this show, but Season 1 & 2 I doubt I will have a lot of "re-watch" of..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks