Worst Blind Buy?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Joseph G., Jul 3, 2004.

1. Joseph G.

Joseph G. Agent

Just curious what you people feel is the worst blind buy you have made? I've made blind buys on the first season of Soap, Freaks and Geeks, The Richard Pryor Show, Playmakers, and the 67 Spider-man collection. Out of all those I was satisfied with everyone except the Richard Pryor Show. I though for sure with the all star cast the show had, it would have been better. However it failed to satisfy me.

2. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

TV-wise, The Hitchhiker 10 episode set. Couldn't get that out of my collection fast enough...

3. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer

John Moreland
    Firefly. I thought I'd love it, but it never once grabbed me. Will revisit it before I part with it though.

4. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

Dick Van Dyke Season 1. Anyone who wants it PM me.

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

For me, it was Gangs of New York. Thought I'd love it and it started out well and included a few good scenes, but was an overall disappointment.

6. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

I'd say Rabbit Proof Fence booorrrinnngggg

Anyone want it?

7. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Pardon me for playing Thread Nit-Picker, but given the placement of this topic, I think it's looking to chat about worst TV SERIES blind buys - that'd leave out the last two mentioned...

8. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I picked up UPRIGHT CITIZEN'S BRIGADE on a friend's recommendation. I found it more "absurd" than funny.

I have the first MR. SHOW set and only got through the first couple episodes.

My best friend is a VOYAGER fan so I've been picking up those boxes based on his recommendation. Pretty weak so far. I will give the series one more season to start getting good. Otherwise, I will cut my losses and consider Star Trek to end with Jake & Kira looking out DS9's window as the camera pulls back into infinity.

Joseph,

I suggest you check out the special on RICHARD PRYOR disc 3. The Maya Angelou monologue is the best bit in the entire box.

9. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    Probably CSI Season 1 and 2. Its not that its a bad show or anything, far from it, but I much prefer a TV show with ongoing arcs and character development throughtout the series and this is largely just a mystery of the week series albeit well done.

Can anyone tell me if future seasons are the same or if the Miami series is any different ?

10. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I've been pretty lucky. The one blind buy that's kind of hit-or-miss is Andromeda season 1. I caught the pilot episodes on Sci-Fi and liked them a lot, but there are a lot of bad episodes once you get past those two. And, the ones that aren't bad aren't outstanding, either. I guess I'll decide if I'll get the second season (once it's collected into one box) based on how much I like the finale.

It doesn't help that I'm also watching a blind buy of Stargate: SG-1 at the same time. I pretty much have enjoyed even the weaker episodes, and it just feels like a more "adult" show than Andromeda. I can't explain that, but it just does.

11. Rob Mac

Rob Mac Stunt Coordinator

Rob
    AIRBORNE - Steve Guttenburger and Sean Bean. I worked on it and had to check it out. Flush twice...it's a big one! (sorry...wrong section)
    Space Ghost Coast to Coast(ers!).

12. Rob Mac

Rob Mac Stunt Coordinator

Rob
    AIRBORNE - Steve Guttenburger and Sean Bean. I worked on it and had to check it out. Flush twice...it's a big one!

13. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

Maybe you confused the toilet flusher and the "submit reply" button.

14. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I've had good luck with TV blind buys. So, my worst one is 24 and not because its a bad show. It is my worst because I just haven't had the time to get in to it like I'd want to. Like I said I've had real good luck with blind buys on TV Shows.

15. Marcee

Marcee Agent

Since I live overseas due to work, and I don't have cable or a satellite yet, DVDs are pretty much my TV. I have bought quite a few things blind (since anythign after 2001 is new to me), just for the adventure - and one can only watch one season of a familiar show so many times before you start pulling your hair out.
    I have only been uncomfortable with a purchase once - The Hitchhiker Canadian set (first season). It is not that the shows are bad (if you remember them in context), it's that they are dated now. But, I'm keeping it because I collect things. I have also purchased Dead Like Me, but I haven't watched it yet. I've never seen it on tv. It sounded interesting, and anything completely new to me is gold. Any comments?
    One last note: Andromeda gets better after mid-season 2 - much more character development, so rent or something but give it a chance. And, Firefly is a great series! So, please try that again, too. My problem is that the set is the end until the movie...I hate non-ending endings!

16. LizH

LizH Second Unit

Season Four (The one that brought the world Seven of Nine) is due in August. [​IMG]

17. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg

I probably will. I like the characters and the premise, but this first season has been a bit rocky. Still, the Andromeda is the hottest ship I've ever seen. [​IMG]

I'm glad to hear it gets better next season, but how long does it stay good from there? In your opinion, has it stayed at a high quality level from then until the present, or is there a point where it becomes mediocre? I've seen mixed opinion on that at places like the IMDb and Amazon.com user comments.

18. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    Criterion's The Night Porter

19. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    I have been pretty lucky with my blind buys... that I pretty much enjoyed everything I bought... but for me it would have to be...

Beastmaster... I enjoy it... but it's not as gopod as Hercules or Xena....

Unless of course you count the 2 disc set of Classic TV Commercials... now that was just plain horrible!

20. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

You sure about that? I had a date of 9/28 for S4 of Voyager, and I can't find anything to contradict that. Amazon and every place else I checked don't even have it for pre-order, so I can't imagine it's due next month.

We WILL get the Picard set as well as S1 of TOS in August, though...