What's new

world war 1 movie? (1 Viewer)

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I just watched Paths of Glory again and I can not reiterate just how great a film this is...anyone who has not seen it needs to do so now!

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
why do they stop creating movie based on ww1? is it uninteresting or what? i couldnt find any that is made after 1960...

i just watched the longest day, thanks to suggestion by htf-ers...but having difficulties getting ww1 movies...

my wife didnt seem to enjoy oldies, but she enjoyed the longest day.

thanks to all suggestions.

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
why do they stop creating movie based on ww1? is it uninteresting or what? i couldn't find any that is made after 1960...
I'm guessing it is because most people connect WWI with trench warfare and long long periods of relative inactivity which doesn't lend itself well to dirty dozen style action (which I think is what most people imagine when they think of 'war films').

There was a recent UK film called 'the trench' by William Boyd (if 1999 can be called recent ;) ) but I don't think it exactly set the world alight..

Can't seem to find an official site I'm afraid. :frowning:

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
The Stunt Man is about the making of a World War I movie. Sort of. A WWI movie is being made within the film, anyway. It's good, see it anyway.

why do they stop creating movie based on ww1?
And some people said, why make a movie about the Titanic, when there was already a movie about it? As if there can be only one movie made about each time period or event. :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
why do they stop creating movie based on ww1? is it uninteresting or what? i couldnt find any that is made after 1960...
Well a couple of the suggestions in this thread were made after 1960:
·Oh, What a Lovely War (1969)
·Gallipoli (1981)
for example.

As far as why there are not many made today, I don’t think that it is so much a lack of interest, as it is a lack of interest (and knowledge) in the States. The U.S. did not get involved in this until very late in the war and as we did not have a lot of troops committed nor were we in it for a very long time, we have little emotional connection to this war.

Unlike Australia and New Zealand, where every country town has a WWI memorial, honoring the men from there that fell in the war.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I'll throw in Howard Hughes' Hell's Angels for some incredible aerial photography (and the only color footage of Jean Harlow).

Rob

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Sorry I can't recall the title of this one, but it was B&W and very disturbing. The one scene that stands out is of a large man who had been wounded and his intestines were hanging out, yet he manages to stand up and strangle a (German?) soldier with his own guts. Yuck! Really stuck in my mind. I saw it on CBC many years ago and was just really hit by how dark and creepy the show was.

Ideas on title?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
The U.S. did not get involved in this until very late in the war and as we did not have a lot of troops committed nor were we in it for a very long time, we have little emotional connection to this war.
Lew,
The US lost 115,000 men in WWI . That is second only to WWII in US deaths in foreign wars.
I think WWII casts a shadow over WWI and that is a reason it gets overlooked. Also, there are not too many people alive today that remember or fought in WWI. I haven't met a WWI veteran in 20 years(love talking to war vets). I think many have just forgotten...

Evan Case

Screenwriter
To all these fine films, let me add that there were probably at least two dozen episodes of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles set in and around Europe and Africa during WWI. Well above average for any made for television depiction of the horrors.

They should still be available on video, I bet.

Evan

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The US lost 115,000 men in WWI .
You are certainly correct as to the number and I don’t mean to trivialize anyone’s death. But in the context of WWI, the numbers were small. Remember we are talking about a war where battles like Verdun had a million and a quarter casualties (and this was just French and German). I can’t remember the numbers, but I am resonable4 certain that the ANZACS suffered over 50,000 casualties at Gallipoli alone, a awesome percentage of their population then.

This was a war that ‘destroyed a generation’, at least if you were European.

I’ve lived in Australia and New Zealand and can only say that I’ve not seen anything in the States to compare to ANZAC Day regarding WWI. In both Australia and New Zealand, many, many people get up and go to a morning church service that begins at the same time the ANZACS landed (early in the morning). Many others actually go to the site of the battle for that day. And this in a country that is not at all religious compared to the States, at least in terms of church attendance.

And this just to commemorate one battle.

That is what I meant by emotional connection to the WWI.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Dr. Zhivago deals with some of the homefront and political issues within WWI-era Russia and the war's aftermath. There are a couple of brief frontline WWI scenes.

Guy Maddin's Archangel story of an American soldier stationed in Russia after their surrender to help fight the Communists is a dreamy/comedy/cult film and probably not what you're looking for. But it is a newer film set in this era. It's pretty funny, particularly a faux propaganda film with German troops portrayed as Teutonic demons, but overstays its welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks