What's new

Woofer problem Visonik David 7000 (1 Viewer)

Althair

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Silveman
Picked up pair of cool German vintage speakers but only discovered foam rot later. Removed grill on one to order baffles (company then sent wrong size). Noticed woofer seems projected forward 1/4 inch but assumed this was normal until I opened second speaker and woofer was level with metal basket. Pushed gently on protruding woofer and it popped back to match mate but seems to want to return to protruding position. Very light pressure seems to be enough to keep in place - - maybe the new baffle would even hold it. Is such a protruding woofer a sign it's blown? Certain things in life should be symmetrical! So far I'm not in deep on $.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Removed grill on one to order baffles
Please explain because you may be using different terminology than I would. To me and most guys that build speakers, the baffle is the front of the enclosure with the holes cut in it to hold the individual drivers.
It sounds like the voice coil of one woofer is out of the magnetic gap and hung on the pole piece. If it has been that way for a while, the spider may have adjusted a little to the odd position. If you are getting new foam then it may help hold it in place. Just make sure you shim the voice coil before gluing on the new foam.

Althair

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Silveman
Thanks Robert, when I ordered foam, unfortunately I chose to save $5 and didn't get the shims and replacement center caps, but am sure newfoam
.com will send it for a small fee. I will post results when finished. Thanks again, Andy

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I shim with cheap business cards. I mean cheap. None of that raised letter stuff. When I re-build subs, I can use cardboard from cereal boxes but it is too thick for normal woofers.
With careful cutting, you can re-use your existing dust cap. I've refoamed 10 speakers this way (four 15's, two 12's & four 6.5's).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks