What's new

Woo hoo! I reduced spam by 98%! (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got my own domain name which I use for a little vanity website and for personalized email addresses. Over the past year my spam intake has skyrocketed. The past few months I was receiving more than 2000 junk emails a day! That's nearly 1.5 spam per minute!

I've been using MailWasher Pro, since server-side processing of the spam was necessary. This week I finally got around to tackling the bigger problem: where was it coming from? Turns out there was a very simple solution.

My domain has a "catch-all" email alias that forwarded all emails to unknown names (of my domain) to my primary email address. So I was receiving the full onslaught of domain-level spamming. I deleted that alias, and over 2000 spams are bounced back to the ether as my mail server fails to recognize all the fake recipient names.

My spam has plummeted to a more sane level of abour 40 / day. I know that's still a lot for many of you, but it's a huge improvement for me.

As a second, modest step, I've also stopped checking email at my ISP address, since I don't use it. That should drop me down to about 20 / day.

And MailWasher Pro, or any other system, will handle that easily.

Hurray! :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like your web host's spam filter didn't do jack then. Demand money back.

I got a few domains, hosted w/ e-rice, but I've never used the email boxes. And now w/ a few gmails, there's more reasons I don't have to.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't think my web-host does any automatic email filtering. Last time I looked, that wasn't listed as a feature for budget-minded hosting services. Maybe I'll look into that.

That said, for my primary address (an email I've used online for several years), I get only a little bit more than I get from my unpublished RoadRunner account, with all of its auto-filtering services.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
The web host shouldn't do any filtering except if asked to, IMHO. It should be a users own choice whether or not he/she has their mail filtered.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A few days later, and I'm at a 95% success rate. I'm still receiving an excess amount of spam, but it's much much lower than before.

I've communicated with the owner of the hosting service about server-side filtering. He said it's under consideration, but there are several problems that have to be resolved first.

Kimmo - that's what I thought. I didn't expect a hosting service to auto-filter email, the way that AOL or RoadRunner does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks