What's new

!!! wonka widescreen dvd !!! - NOT A HOAX! ARRIVING 11/13! (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Very very good news. Glad to hear Warner woke up and did Wonka right. But, we must be vigilant. The next time this happens, no matter who the studio, we have to be prepared to push again. We did it once and we can do it again!
-greg

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Hey, wouldn't it be funny if we all just bought the P&S version anyway? And then, we can just let the WS versions rot on the shelves, so Warner can study their sales figures and go, "Wait a second ... "
Okay, sorry. Not funny.
Actually, Matt, it's hilarious.
biggrin.gif
Just so long as nobody takes you up on it.
Man, is this great news!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Yay!
I'm pre-ordering as soon as it appears on amazon.com!
I hope this means an end to open matte and P&S DVD's for WB...This is a great thing, though. Now the WB chat won't be an insult festival...we'll actually be able to ask some real questions.
Let's just hope that WB's only full frame output from now on is Academy Ratio films...no more open matte, no more P&S.
This is REALLY good because the very few sites that reviewed the open matte Wonka disc said the transfer was nearly perfect except for no matting. (or "badly cropped transfer" depending on who knows the true format of the film.)
I wouldn't worry about the DVD being non-anamorphic because WB is a really good supporter of anamorphic widescreen for titles 1.78:1 and wider. (They should start anamorphic on 1.66:1 titles, too...)
Maybe they'll matte Lord of the Rings...
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Andy_S

Second Unit
I hope they don't think that ALL movies should be widescreen. I could just imagine what would happen if they matted Citizen Kane to try to make us happy!
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Check out my home-built mame cabinet here!

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I'd had no intention of buying this movie, even before the P&S announcement, but I'll now buy the widescreen to reward them for ceasing to be wonkers. :)

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
Truly great news!
I wonder it they will have some openings in their marketing research department soon?
biggrin.gif

Jim
[Edited last by Jim Bivins on August 23, 2001 at 06:02 PM]

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
This is fantastic news, now if we could just do away with all forms of P&S and make the world safe for widescreen
I'm sure this is a joke but just in case it isn't I have to say that this "only my way" attitude is what we OAR have been fighting isn't it?
I don't want to deprive any Pan & Scan aficionado of their preferred ratio (correct or not) just don't tell me that I can't see these films in the ratio I prefer.
This (warner's turn around) is a good thing to see.
------------------
-Kevin M.
"Have a good time all the time........that's my philosophy, Marty."

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Excellent news!
Kudos to everyone who signed the petitions, called and emailed Warner both here on HTF and the other pro-OAR forums!
Hopefully this signals a change in policy for all future "family" DVDs not just a knee-jerk reaction to the storm of bad publicity over Wonka. I'll certainly reinstate my pre-order when it becomes available.
I still worry about The Neverending Story It is less than 2 weeks from release and still no word at all on the transfer. I hope its not too late for this one.
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Our job now is to make sure that others are educated that they should wait for the OAR. I know some people had to have this no matter what, hopefully they can wait a few weeks if they know a correct version is coming.
I want to commend Warner for this. They made a mistake, but they corrected it. Their chat will certainly be more pleasant with everyone starting out with Kudos instead of )%&%^!. :)
Beating Divx was like winning a war. This is more like winning a battle, but it still feels damn good. :) :) :)
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
The magical, widescreen DVD...
LOL!! Funny how widescreen is "magical" now. What the **** was it before? Those two-faced, greedy... well, anyway. At least we got our dream fulfilled.
WIDESCREEN FOREVER!!
BAN PAN & SCAN!!
[Edited last by Jonathan Perregaux on August 23, 2001 at 06:27 PM]

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Message sent and received!
icon14.gif
Hopefully, this will end any future discussion of OAR at Warner Bros.
What a victory for consumers!
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Roman Polanski's - The Fearless Vampire Killers?

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Warner,
Thank you for listening to us. You can count on me to spend money on your releases so long as they are OAR. This decision has put you back on my "A" list of studios. I will now be definately purchasing both Wonka and Cats And Dogs. Also, upon hearing this news, I purchased Night Breed and The Goonies today. Please stay on the right track.
HTF, The Digital Bits, etc... :
Thank you for amplifying our outcry and supporting the cause. You guys make me proud to be a part of this growing group of home theater and, more importantly, film enthusiasts. Now let's all grab a beer!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
-Dwayne
"And vidi films I would."

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Great news!!!! We beat Divx. We showed Warner that we will not bend over and let them treat us in any manner without it backfiring.
Start firing up those pre-orders for the WS edition to show them that we WILL vote with our $$$!!!

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I second that notion :)
Wonka is now a buy on my list!!!
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Todd_B

Second Unit
Great job folks!!!!!
It's about time the little man/woman won one for once.
biggrin.gif

I will be adding "Wonka" to my collection.
Todd B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks