What's new

Women are more into looks than men re: HT. (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
How many of you with female SO's want you to place speakers where they look good, rather where they sound good just because of aesthetics?
I thought guys were supposed to be the visually-oriented ones, but now we really know the truth!
Are women just less sensitive to the auditory needs of men?
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I'm single but it's kinda 50 50 with me. I do my best to get the best possible sound out of my speaker placement. But at the same time I try to make it look cool to the eye.
------------------
Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
Could you pick them up for me?

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
If it were up to my wife all the speakers would be very small and/or in the walls. No wait, if it were up to her, I wouldn't have speakers.
frown.gif

Smaller is better?!?
But, she didn't mind me adding a SVS 20-39PC sub because it meant I could replace my Klipcshorns with the much smaller Phase Tech PC-3.1s.
Sooooo... all you guys get something big and ugly when you are single so after you married you can get what you really wanted in the first place and everyone is happy.
wink.gif

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yes. My wife would love to make my speakers and all my equipment disappear. We got a new entertainment center with doors so the TV and center speaker can now disappear whenever she wants. You just gotta love it.
------------------

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Yeah....why is it with women and speakers, SMALLER is better??? Damn, I wish they thought that way about "other things"!
------------------
Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
Could you pick them up for me?

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
I am a woman?
wink.gif
If I had my choice I would see no speakers anywhere.
A good magazine to read is Audio Video Interiors. However, most of the stuff in there is far too expensive.

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Take a look at my home link. The wife likes it this way even though I told the sound would be SO much better if I put them on the floor. Her answer. SOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Just goes to prove that women are into nothing but looks.
alien.gif

Jake T

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Well, my wife doesn't care that my speakers are 3 feet into the room with 12 gauge wire lying very visibly on the carpet, and she can hear the difference between a nice deep soundstage and a Best Buy speaker demo. I consider myself a very lucky man :)

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
That's because most of you guys want to turn "our" :) living rooms into movie theaters. Build us seperate Home Theater rooms and you won't have any problems. If you can't afford to build us a home theater room then you'll just have to listen to us bitch or do us a favor & get rid of us so we can go find a guy that can afford a home theater room.
All in fun :) guys, but you also know that a lot of you if you could would also have the car in the living room if we let you :) I know , what's a matter with the car in the living room?
wink.gif

Thomas_A

Second Unit
Well..after I came home with the second set of towers..my wife told me next house I'm gettting a HT room for myself. I was floored....and got on my knees for 10/15min and bowed like a whipped dog...but nevermind that !!!!
Only thing she realy does not like are the black surround speakers.... Well..thanx to Mr. bush...they will be white when I get my check.. upgrading to the next model...they will be white..and she wont care that they are bigger- just that they are white..go figure
anyway...
Thomas
------------------
So far, So good, So what
Link Removed
http://thomas2307.homestead.com/thomasworld.html

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
My wife has reluctantly gone along with my choice of speakers and their placement. She understands how important this is to me. However, we just purchased a new house and hope to convert the garage into a home theater room.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I'm afraid that I could be single for a long time with my speaker choices. It kind of looks like I have a small city in my ht room. I love how it sounds, but unless a womans into hometheater I'm outta luck.
frown.gif

Jon

Steve_D

Second Unit
I reserved a room in my house...it's the only one I get to decorate and I chose to decorate it with an HDTV, SVS sub, Paradigm Studio speakers, etc...
------------------
Link Removed

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Great thread, I have had so many bad experiences with girlfriends/wife when it comes to music/HT.
The best one is when they like to turn your speakers into
plantstands. Your beautiful speakers end up with a foul stain that will last longer than the relationship.
Then there's the repeated moving of the speakers. You move them to your preferred placement, she moves them to... wherever, just as long as they're out of her way.
Unfortunately I have never met a woman with the same passion as I, needless to say I'm now single. :)

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Catch this: the woman in the house told me that her "vision" was to place those "small BOSE cubes" high on the walls in our family room. I am very very lucky that the 130 pound Def Techs have been accepted :) That said, while I don't base my decisions on looks, it is certainly nice to have a nice looking set of speakers in the house especially since the DT's are in my family room!

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
Woman here. I don't like the way a living room looks WITHOUT speakers. 'course I'm not married.
cool.gif

[Edited last by Theresa Doyon on August 12, 2001 at 07:58 PM]

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I'm just lucky that my Fiance is into good quality audio as much as me. Doesn't hurt that she's a Music Major who's into composition ;-) Heck she didn't even complain once about the SVS. Plus she claims she likes the speakers even more because they're a place to put our Dragons (we have a collection started...)
Brian

DonnyD

Screenwriter
My SO also likes quality audio as much as I and has never said a word about what I drag in.... as long as it isn't road kill.
She actually found a match for a 50 year old lamp just so we maintained the even and symmetrical look in out HT room. I have large speakers in the front and rear and then the SVS in the corner but as long as it sounds good, so be it. Never questions the money I spend either. Yes, the SO does most of the arranging and decorating but she makes everything fit around what ever I drag in.
------------------

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Frank you couldn't have said it any better. I remember that damn little fig tree that sat on top of my speaker. I would move it off and put it aside but then she said it wasn't getting enough light. And when she over-watered it...
Her AND the speakers are out of my life. Good riddence. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks