What's new

Wiring Question (1 Viewer)

Adam_Smith

Auditioning
If I buy a certain length of expensive monster cable from my local HT shop and discover that it is to short or in the future rearange my equiptment is it ok to pickup the additional length that I need and just twist the wires together or would it be better to purchase a whole new run of cable.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
If you encounter a situation where your cable isn't long enough, solder the new cable extension to the existing piece of cable. Also, places like Home Depot sell shrink tubing (about 8 pieces for $1.50). You use the shrink tubing to cover your exposed wires and the solder connection. After you have applied the shrink tubing, you use a lighter or a match and move it slowly along the shrink tubing to make it "shrink" around your wires. This makes for a professional connection that will be more than sufficient.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
personally, i don't like the idea of soldering wires together. although i have no scientific proof to back it up, i just feel that the solder will "break down" the signal. plus, it provides a weak-point in the strength of the wire.
if at all possible, i suggest you try to compensate and purchase enough wire up front. there's really no harm in having many extra feet in your speaker wire anyway.
but, if you absolutely must solder, be sure to read this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=59991

ThomasV

Auditioning
i just bought a 500 foot roll of monster from a local dealer - I only needed two hundred feet - the guy told me to brign back what I don't use and he will take it back since the monstor cable is labelted as to fottage left on the roll - I paid 55 cents per foot for 14-4 sheilded CL3 - i may just keep the whole damn thing

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ted,
A soldered splice is actually the strongest, from a functional standpoint. Also, if soldering broke down a signal I expect someone would have found a better way to weld components to circuit boards by now. :)
Adam,
Soldering is one of many effective ways to splice wire, and perhaps the most difficult and time-consuming method.
I offered an extensive evaluation on various methods of splicing wire recently. You can find my post at this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=59913
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Also, if soldering broke down a signal I expect someone would have found a better way to weld components to circuit boards by now.
that's a pretty darned good point wayne! :D
did ted just have a paradigm shift? hmmm....

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
nnooo...thank YOU wayne. :) in all seriousness, you gave me something to think about.
i'm still gonna say that straight wire is the best, but i don't think i'll be so hesitant to discriminate against soldering anymore.
besides, it's pretty clear you know how to solder... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks