What's new

Wiring Def Tech CLR3000 and Denon 5803 (1 Viewer)

Sammy Sams

Agent
Any recommendations on how to wire this center speaker would be helpful. Should I use both the center pre out and the center speaker outs?

Sammy Sams

Agent
HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is anybody out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Sammy.

Your post probably confused people. First, they may not know that the DefTech CLR 3000 has a built-in sub. Second, you posted in the "Tweeks, Connections" fourm rather than the "Speakers" fourm where it might have gotten a more focused response.

I'm going to move it over there, but I'll give you my $0.02:

Wire the center speaker to the speaker-outputs. Ignore the line-level input. (My understanding is that the line-level input only feeds the subwoofer. Hooking this to the center pre-out would be a mistake). Make sure the jumper is between the terminals on the speaker and tell the receiver that the center speaker is LARGE.

Hope this helps.

John Doran

Screenwriter
sammy,

i've hooked up my clr3000 to my avr5800 using the line-level full range input and bi-wired the speaker-level to the low and mid, with the gold jumpers connecting the mid and high binding posts.

i used to do a straight bi-wire to high and mid, and then use only the full-range input for the bass, but i found that there was almost no bass being output compared to the ridiculous amounts of bass i was getting when i used the low speaker-level inputs.

i actually thought that either the amp in the clr3000 or the centre-channel pre-out from my avr5800 was broken; after both went to the shop and came back with no problems at all, i just live with it.

funnily enough, a friend of mine has the clr3000 with an elite receiver (i forget which one), and he had it hooked up the way i originally did (full-range input only for bass); on a whim, i tried using the speaker-level connection for the low-end on the clr3000 with the same results as i experienced - bass output increased dramatically.

so i don't know what to think.

anyway. sorry for rambling.

- jd

John H

Second Unit
i've hooked up my clr3000 to my avr5800 using the line-level full range input and bi-wired the speaker-level to the low and mid, with the gold jumpers connecting the mid and high binding posts.
It is not recommened to feed the low level speaker terminals and the line level input simultaneously.
When switching from feeding the internal powered woofer section a speaker level or line level (never both simultaneously) you must re calibrate the gain control on the speaker.
John

Mark Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, you definitely don't want to use the low-level and speaker output at the same time.

You should remove all jumpers, bi-wire the high and mid, then run the low-level for the sub. You will get cleaner bass this way. If you're running speaker output for the low(sub), what the CLR3000 ultimately will do is convert the signal back to line-level signal for the built-in sub.

Mark

Mark Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
oh, one more way you can connect it, though the first I mentioned is better, you can do bi-wire the high+mid with a jumper and the low by itself. In the Denon change the Center to Large so the low(bass) will go to it.

John Doran

Screenwriter
well, as i said, when i used only the line-level connect for the 3000 (bi-wiring mid and hi), i got almost no bass at all out the thing, clean or otherwise, even with the gain at full.
but when i disconnect the full range input and use only the low speaker level connection, i get all kinds of bass.
i'm not sure why that is - i took in both the speaker and the receiver for service and both checked out ok - but the same thing happened with a friend of mine's 3000 and his elite receiver.
- jd

John H

Second Unit
well, as i said, when i used only the line-level connect for the 3000 (bi-wiring mid and hi), i got almost no bass at all out the thing, clean or otherwise, even with the gain at full.
John,

I have owned two C/L/R 3000's and the internal powered woofer low level inputs worked fine on both.

I only need to turn the gain up to around 9-10 o'clock to balance match the upper and lower sections with Avia's cycling high and low test tones.

Did you call Def Tech and speak with a technician? You and your friends 3000's are defective or your setups are not correct.

I am currently using mine with an Elite 49TX and used a Parasound AVC-2500 pre/pro for a couple of years also with no problems.

John

Mark Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
one silly question, when you are using the line-level input along with the bi-wiring hi and mid did you remove the jumper between the mid and low? some people just overlook this sometime.

Mark

John Doran

Screenwriter
mark,

nope - no jumper between mid and low.

and no, there's nothing wrong with either the speaker or the receiver - i sent both in for service and both were fine; i actually spent quite a while speaking with the technician who had my receiver on the bench, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it at all.

the line-level connection worked fine in the shop, by which i mean the line-level output as much bass in the shop as the speaker-level does in my home.

i did, in fact, call definitive; all he could suggest was that differences in input/output impedances between the receiver and the amp in the 3000 were resposnible for the problem; he said it happens, but only very rarely.

I only need to turn the gain up to around 9-10 o'clock to balance match the upper and lower sections with Avia's cycling high and low test tones.
see, what i find with my 3000 connected using the speaker-level low connection is that 9 or 10 on the gain is simply way, way too much bass. WAY too much. however, with only the line-level it's nowhere near enough.

where i have the gain now is about 4 o'clock, which is the position definitive said they recommended.

this leads me to believe that you may in fact be experiencing the same thing i am (or else you just really really really like bass). why don't you try this at home: with a prolonged, bass-heavy piece playing, take speaker wires connected to the center-outs on your receiver/pre-pro, and then plug them into the low binding posts on the 3000.

i mean, all you have to do is touch the banana plugs to the low binding posts on the 3000 to see if there's a difference - just keep touching and removing them to see if there's a difference between the line- and speaker-level bass-outputs.

you may be surprised. i was.

- jd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks