What's new

Wireless networking question (mostly 80211b vs. 80211a) - need RANGE! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have a desktop computer with cable modem
broadband access.
I bought a notebook computer (Sony Vaio) about
two months ago.
I wanted to be able to have the cable broadband
signal transmitted to my notebook computer so
I could use it inside or outside my home without
wires.
So, I bought the Linksys WAP11 wireless
router that uses 802.11b technology, and a
SIEMENS PC CARD for the notebook.
Spent about $200 for this setup.
It works rather well, except for the fact that
I lose range very quickly. At approximnetely
a distance of 40' (through walls and a 2nd floor)
the signal is rather poor.
Frankly, I am looking for something that will
deliver a STRONGER signal and let me go further
distances, like outside.
What are my best options?
I see there are the 802.11a wireless networks
that claim to be higher speed and stronger signal.
It promises to be 7 times faster than what I have
now.
Do any of you have the 802.11[/b]a[/b] products
and do they broadcast a much stronger signal and
give faster cable access speeds?
I have also heard of the home wiring network
option where you go through your home electrical
outlets. Though it is wired, this method is
supposed to be the fastest.
If you have solutions....
Anything you could suggest would be helpful.
Please mention specific product names and
models in your reply. If you know where it
can be had at the cheapest rate, please provide
a link to a site.
Thanks in advance for your help.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Ron,
Sounds like you simply need a better access point, or you need to place it in a better location in your home. I live in a townhome, with my Apple Airport Base Station on the second floor near a window. I have coverage all throughout my house, and outside. The Linksys WAP11 doesn't have the greatest range in the world, but you should be able to position it to give coverage through most of your house (although I don't know anything about your house design).
Back in 2000, my coworkers and I did a test of a bunch of wireless access points. It was printed in Network World. Check out http://www.nwfusion.com/research/2000/0410feat.html?nf
I haven't done any testing of 802.11a yet. All of my exiting products are 802.11b, and 802.11a is incompatable with that stuff. Reading a little bit about it, I don't think it's as robust as 802.11b.
I don't know anyone who is actually using HPNA (the data through power cables). Sorry.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Or just get a second access point, put it on your second floor, running the cable from that down to your main switch.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Shayne,

Can this be done without wires?

In other words, is there a device that
will act as an additional relay to extend
the signal range?

My setup is this...

Computer -> Linksys Wired Router to second
computer -> Wireles WAP11 network (wired to
Linsys router).

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Ron - I've got the exact same router.
I just got a Sony Vaio w/ built in wireless (pretty cool I must say.) I was having poor coverage with the router walking around my apartment. it would work in the living room, but only On the coffee table - which is basically line of site to the wap 11. If I sat on the couch, it would lose signal, as it's behind a wall.
I spent a day or two looking at buying an omnidirectional antenna, but they are pretty pricey. Then I finally decided to do the hack:
Link Removed
Man - it took about 2 minutes to do (download, install, edit the ini and then boot it up!) and it works GREAT!!!!!!!!! Basically, you can boost the output of the WAP11 to 100mw, instead of the 30mw that it's configured for. I did this on my channel and it works great, even with encryption and MAC filtering turned on!
I can open a command prompt and run a steady ping (ping -t) and I don't drop packets anywhere in the house (moving slowly, pausing for a few seconds in each part of the house w/ the laptop in hand)!
Definitely the way to go - no need to sell your access point or anything. I have heard that the Orinico based cards are more tolerant of distance as well - you may want to look into that. I've got one on order from dell for about $60 or so.
Also, IIRC, most 802.11a stuff I've seen doesn't have ebtter range than 802.11b, just better throughput. I don't know if that's true of the technology in general, or just the current implementations ot it.
IIRC

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,
This sounds too good to be true!
This is an easy hack to do?
All I do is download the software and
edit it?
Can an idiot lime me do this easily? :)
Also, where is the best place to buy an
Orinico card?

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
yes, it's very easy to do...
:)
Once you've got the SNMP connecting fine with your linksys software (I assume it is), it's a snap. Here are the basic steps:
1) download the software
2) install it
3) you may have to reboot your machine that you installed it on - I used the computer that is wired to the network
4) go in and edit that .ini file as it's specified - it's just a little text file.
5) boot the configuration app, find the radio settings section (easy to find)
6) change the value for the channel you are using (default is 6) to 100mw.
7) save the settings and you're done!!!
The dell PCMCIA card is a lucent orinico card - you can but it from dell home peripherals - currently running a special for 20% off - that's the best price I found for an orinoco GOLD (capable of 128-bit WEP) card. go through ebates for another 1-2% off and I think techbargains.com has some more coupons that may work. I think I got 50% off shipping too, and no tax!
Let me know - I was really skeptical but it REALLY works!!!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

Will try this early tomorrow morning
and let you know.

I lookedd on Dell's site for a PCMCIA
card and here is what I found:

Wireless NIC; Truemobile 1150 mini-PCI Wireless PCMCIA Nic Card for Inspiron, Latitude and M40 Notebooks
Manufacturer Part# 3N238
Dell Part# 430-1303

Is this the one? $55.20 is the price + 50% off
shipping (not bad)

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

>>The Orinoco's about the best out there.

Orinoco does make some of the best wireless equipment but I doubt that using one of theirs with no other changes will solve Ron's problem. Orinoco does have a feature that might also be of a big benefit. They sell an external antenna that will connect to their card which can really help in receiving the signal. That is not a great solution for a laptop though if you plan to move around at all.

Glenn

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
but I doubt that using one of theirs with no other changes will solve Ron's problem
Bosting the output is about the best way to go, but the better tolerance of the Orinoco cards would help. small though - if your coverage is pretty good, then look at the card upgrade. If it's still spotty, then you'd want totry other things - moving the access point, etc.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
First off, I did thed hack. Performance
did improve, but only by about 10%. Realize,
I am on another floor separated by walls.

Saw the Orinoco EXTERNAL ANTENNA. Looks
like a great option as it plugs right into
the Orinoco PCMCIA card.

Only thing that concerns me is that I think
(if I understood what I read) you need to
connect these antennas at BOTH ends of the
network -- one on the card side and one
on the hub side. Please correct me if I
am wrong.

Also, I wonder if the antenna will work
as well with the Orinoco PCMCIA card and
a Linksys WAP11 hub.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Ron do you have 2.4Ghz phones in your house? How about a microwave between your base station and where your trying to get a signal? Both of those supposedly can cause problems. Also depending upon what the floor and walls are made of this will cause problems also. 802.11a products are REALLY expensive. They use the 5Ghz range and advertise more area and faster speeds, but it won't be compatible with 802.11b products. 802.11g is in the works and sounds like its got the best of both a and b in it, but it won't be out for at least a year and who knows what the price will be.

You can setup roaming if you get another access point, but it must be physically connected to the rest of the lan. So unless you got cable stringing to the other side of your house thats kinda out of luck.

There are a ton of sites out there about this topic. Just try google and searching for 802.11b.

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ron,

>>Only thing that concerns me is that I think
(if I understood what I read) you need to
connect these antennas at BOTH ends of the
network -- one on the card side and one
on the hub side. Please correct me if I
am wrong.

You can use only one antenna at a time or you can use two for the max benefit.

>>Also, I wonder if the antenna will work
as well with the Orinoco PCMCIA card and
a Linksys WAP11 hub.

I don't think that you will be able to use the Orinoco antenna with your Linksys access point without some changes to the access point. Does the Linksys have an external antenna plug? I don't think it does but I don't have a Linksys access point.

Something else that seems to be new on the market is D-Link AirPlus which they claim boosts the speed of a wireless network. It does not mention any added range though so it probably is not a solution for you.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks