What's new

Wireless G band networking and HT automation (1 Viewer)

kess

Auditioning
I am planning to build a HT + home office about 100ft away from my house. My PC network and broadband are easily accomadated with a wireless router and hubs using the G band. So is it possible for a PC to use the existing wireless hardware to control, with suitable interfaces, the HT lighting, curtains and A/V? This approach means using the same RF, and RF to IR, universally, which makes a lot of sense to me.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
You should have no problem using a wireless G network adapter in a PC in your HT/HO 100ft away. There are all sorts of external antennas, with more gain than stock ones, available on the internet. You could also use a Wireless Bridge to make the connection. You may have to play with placement of access points bridges to get the best possible signal.

The wireless G network would only allow connection to your existing wireless/wired network it would not be used to control HT/HO lighting and other functions unless you were controlling them from the house on another computer.

You can then use x10/smarthome products to control lighting and curtins ect. with a PC in the HT/HO.

Hope that helps.

kess

Auditioning
A missed opportunity for hard developers here me thinks. I am surprised that no one has invented products of an X10 nature that are contolled by a PC network wireless or hardwire.

I think best route is a Pronto with IR repeater to the projection room. Use the IR for all the AV equipment and an IR to X10 converter box for lighting curtains etc.

MikeWh

Second Unit

You can control X10 by a PC or a network (wireless or hardwired). Maybe I didn't understand what you've said here, but as you indicated in your first post, you just need the suitable interfaces. There are several common PC interfaces for X10.

I'm not exactly sure what your problem is with what you are trying to accomplish. Why do you want to use wifi (BTW, "g" doesn't actually refer to a "band", it's just a standard) to control X10? Is it that the outbuilding won't be connected to your main house AC lines??? All X10 needs is the wired network you already have-- the AC lines.

Could you explain further why you want to use wifi??? What are you objectives or perceived problems with X10 alone?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks