What's new

WINDOWS RG - New windows demo! (1 Viewer)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I'd be more interested in switching over to Linux if everything wasn't such an utter ball-ache.

Quick example:

I loathe the way X renders fonts. The folks on Slashdot will say otherwise. Fine. I think they look like crap and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. With Anti-Aliasing off they look like they're made of Lego. With AA on, they're better but blurry. Windows fonts look 500% better to my eyes, AA'd or not.

So, I dig a little. I find out about something called the bytecode interpreter which is disabled in FreeType due to some inane patent issue. So I try and follow some instructions on how to turn this back on. It talks about installing the source RPM for Freetype. OK, so how do I do this exactly? After finding an RPM to download I try and run it like the page says (command-line obviously) and wahey - it starts doing something! Ooops - spoke to soon. I now have a list of about a dozen dependencies that need to be resolved before this can be done. Why? Freetype was already installed and running, so why do I now need to upgrade half of the system?

As usual, the response is: RTFM. Thanks. How helpful.

And it's not like I'm a complete retard here. I worked on corporate Unix systems for a while so I'm quite comfy with the command-line.

So I hit the switch on the KVM back to the Windows box...

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Yup. It stands for Read The F**king Manual (or Man pages). Often seen on pro-open source sites such as Slashdot when people run into a problem or require some kind of technical help. Of course, the fact that you may not have a manual and that the man pages only supply very specific technical detailing of commands is beside the point...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks