What's new

Windows Messenger (1 Viewer)

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
Does anyone know how to prevent MSN messenger from starting up on my PC? I have MSN Messenger 6.2

Everytime I boot up my PC, MSN Messenger is running in the background. I have "Run messenger during start up" unchecked everywhere I can think of. But I still have it running without me knowing it. I have to get into the Task Manager and end process. What gives? Why can't I turn it off and leave it off when I start up my PC?

Edit.

Ok, this is weird. I ended the task in Task Manager. But MSN messenger starts right back up again. WTF?

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator
As an alternative to using msconfig, check out Codestuff Starter . It is a great utility for viewing all processes currently running (potentially including some that do not get shown by task manager) and controlling start up processes.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
How about in Messenger, going to the tools menu, selecting options and picking the general tab. All the startup options are there.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit

I did that. I even went into Internet explorer and outlook express and unchecked the startup options.

Thanks for the help guys.

StephenL

Second Unit
Try this:

Find the folder C:Program FilesMessenger.

Rename the Messenger folder "Messenger OFF".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks