What's new

Win a copy of McLintock! (1 Viewer)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
It is an almost impossible task for me to select just a single JW western to rate as a favorite. Basically, I'll have to pick one out of the dozens I could list...so here goes:

The Shepherd Of The Hills

This was Duke's first color film, and also first directed by longtime pal Henry Hathaway. At its core is an intense human drama played out between John Wayne and Harry Carey. Add on top of that some of the best character actors of the 1940s (and an absolutely stunning Betty Field), and there you have my favorite John Wayne western.

At least that is how I'm feeling right now... :)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I guess my favorite John Wayne western would be The Searchers because I have always identified with Ethan Edwards. A runner up would be Rio Lobo, as I have always found it a lot of fun and I saw it with my father at a drive in back in the early 1970s. Thanks Paramount!

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
The Searchers for me, one of the Duke's better performances IMO and the story line draws me in. A beautiful filmed movie also.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
The Searchers is great, but I've always had a soft spot for a couple of late Waynes, The Shootist, and The Cowboys, with the latter edging out the former by a millimeter or so. Plaudits to Paramount for going back to the negs to create their McClintock. If you look at the caps over at that other Blu-Ray site, it seems fairly clear that the Olive disc was mastered from a print, and, good as it was, the Paramount beats it for detail and for contrast.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
I'd have to say Rio Bravo. The relationships between the Duke and the supporting players makes that movie as good as it is. Dean Martin is a great sidekick, Ricky Nelson coming in as the newbie gunman, Angie Dickinson sexing the place up, and old reliable Walter Brennan grumping the whole runtime. The villains kind of fall flat but the interplay and dialogue make up for that slack. Even though it is a throwback in filmmaking I always do enjoy the song scene, "My Rifle, My Pony and Me." Old (?) Hollywood at the top of their game!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Trying to pick your favorite John Wayne western is something that really causes deep thought There are so many of his films in that genre that are great on different levels. I have narrowed it down to three to help narrow it down to one. The three are STAGECOACH, FORT APACHE, and THE SEARCHERS. Interesting that that while all three are different in so many ways, the three are directed by John Ford. So after some thought I will have to say my “favorite” Wayne western is FORT APACHE! Wayne grew as an actor in this role. His portrayal of a 60 something Calvary officer about to retire while watching his replacement start to make mistakes through arrogance that will end up disaster, but through the loyalty of Calvary he cannot interfere, is just good acting. The John Ford players were also at their peak and Wayne and the secondary actors were so into their parts that it played smoothly. Then the location shots were breathtaking. All around just good entertainment without flaws.

SteveSs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Another vote for "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance." A great story, with great actors, playing great parts, directed by a great man. Except for that newspaper editor who grinds my gears with his overacting. But maybe Ford intended that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ahollis said:
Trying to pick your favorite John Wayne western is something that really causes deep thought There are so many of his films in that genre that are great on different levels. I have narrowed it down to three to help narrow it down to one. The three are STAGECOACH, FORT APACHE, and THE SEARCHERS. Interesting that that while all three are different in so many ways, the three are directed by John Ford. So after some thought I will have to say my “favorite” Wayne western is FORT APACHE! Wayne grew as an actor in this role. His portrayal of a 60 something Calvary officer about to retire while watching his replacement start to make mistakes through arrogance that will end up disaster, but through the loyalty of Calvary he cannot interfere, is just good acting. The John Ford players were also at their peak and Wayne and the secondary actors were so into their parts that it played smoothly. Then the location shots were breathtaking. All around just good entertainment without flaws.
Your description is the wrong John Ford Calvary Trilogy film.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
My favorite John Wayne western is The Searchers. I think it's one of Wayne's best performances and I enjoy his frequent "that'll be the day" proclamations.

---------------

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'd have to go with The Searchers as my favorite John Wayne film. A complex, unpredictable character.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My favorite? The one I last watched: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

I had temporarily forgotten how beautiful Vera Miles was. But it's hard to forget the pitch-perfect performances by this great cast. (And the UK Blu-ray has a beautiful image!)

mwslvnoraandpompey.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Calvary Trilogy=Three crosses on Mt. Golgotha. :eek:
I know spellcheck doesn't catch this typing mistake. I just found it somewhat (not blasphemously) amusing.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I'm going to have to go with Big Jake. I realize it isn't well thought of but I found it to be entertaining and I like John Wayne as the older voice of experience. Plus it is almost a heist type of film with plans within plans for the final confrontation.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
The Shootist

Incredibly good performances from Wayne and Lauren Bacall. Sad portrayal of a lonely dying man (by a dying man) and lonely surviving widow
finding some happiness in small ways with each other.

Pretty good job from Ron Howard particularly at the end when he realizes that the thing he idolizes wasn't so nice afterall and his
hero was still his hero, but for a completely different reason than he originally thought.

Anything with Jimmy Stewart

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
This is a tough one for me, too.
So many I really enjoy.
But I guess I'd go with The Searchers.
An absolutely classic western.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Chuck Anstey said:
I'm going to have to go with Big Jake. I realize it isn't well thought of but I found it to be entertaining and I like John Wayne as the older voice of experience. Plus it is almost a heist type of film with plans within plans for the final confrontation.
I love this film too, but always zip past the kidnapping at the start. Really kinda gruesome for a JW film. I enjoy starting the film as Duke is staring down his rifle.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
David Norman said:
The ShootistIncredibly good performances from Wayne and Lauren Bacall. Sad portrayal of a lonely dying man (by a dying man) and lonely surviving widowfinding some happiness in small ways with each other.Pretty good job from Ron Howard particularly at the end when he realizes that the thing he idolizes wasn't so nice afterall and hishero was still his hero, but for a completely different reason than he originally thought.Anything with Jimmy Stewart
Really well summary of this great film. Certainly a top 10 candidate on most John Wayne enthusiast's lists...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.