What's new

Will this Cable Combo Work? (1 Viewer)

Swantz84

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I have a dvd/receiver, hdtv, and a comcast box. I was going to run an optical cable from the box to my tv. Then run interconnect audio cables from my tv to my receiver. Have a dvi to hdmi cable from my box to my tv.

So my questions is, if i run an optical cord from my box to my tv for audio, will the audio cables i hook up with my hdmi to my receiver give surround sound or not work at all because the cable box isnt hooked up to the receiver?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Welcome to the Home Theater Forum, Scott.

What kind of TV do you have? I have never seen a tv with an optical input, optical out yes, in sounds not right to me. Also what is your receiver, does it not have optical inputs?

I would suggest if your cable box is equiped with DVI out, that you connect the Optical cable to the receiver, unless it doesn't have an optical input. Then connect the analog audio cables from the cable box to the tv, since the tv is only equiped with 2 stereo speakers. Then of course connect the DVI to HDMI from the box to the TV.

Swantz84

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
i have a sony 42" wega projection tv. It has hdmi and an optical with a bunch of component inputs. I have the sony dx-375 surround sound and that does not have any optical inputs/outputs on it. So that is why i asked if that would work. I didn't think it would. I guess ill just run the audio cables from the box to the receiver and hdmi cable from the box to the tv and ill just loose sound from my tv then.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Scott - It sounds like you have a home theatre in a box. I recommend cabling your system as follows:

1. Comcast Box -> TV, HDMI
2. Comcast Box -> Receiver, digital coax or optical audio
3. Receiver -> TV, HDMI or Component

If you choose to run audio through your TV you may lose surround sound. Many TV's do not have the ability to pass DD5.1. If you output RCA (red/white) from your TV to your receiver you will only get stereo, in any case.

If your receiver does not have digital coax or optical audio inputs then you will limited to outputting RCA from your Comcast Box, in stereo. This is a limitation of many home theatre in a box systems.

Swantz84

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
yeah my receiver doesn't have digital coax or optical, so it looks like i will just run it the way i have been doing........

audio = box to reciver (interconnect audio cables)
cable = box to tv (dvi to hdmi)
dvd = receiver to tv (component)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks