Will This antenna pick up VHF HDTV OTA?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by chris_steltz, Aug 25, 2005.

1. chris_steltz

chris_steltz Agent

2. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Antenna performance

The DB2's performance ranges from less than -25 db gain for Channels 2--4 to a high of -16 db for Channel 7. For comparison, on UHF stations, the DB gives betwen+7 db (for channel 14) and +11db (for channel 69). So, in a word: No.

4. chris_steltz

chris_steltz Agent

I have a small RCA antenna that picks up my VHS stations here but the problem is that I have to put the thing out on the roof of my house to get it. Im pretty close to the transmitter of the VHF station do you think that since im close I could pick them up with the DB2? My pother question is would I be able to mount my indoor antenna outside? It does not require a power source so wouldit be ruined int he rain?

5. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

The db2 is an outdoor antenna. It is small enough to be used indoors, however.
    Consult Antenna Web for reception information.

6. chris_steltz

chris_steltz Agent

Antenna web says I need a medium range multi directional and the DB2 is "Multi-directional (pulls in signals from many directions)". Looks like it should be ok.

7. chris_steltz

chris_steltz Agent

It says it will pick up signals from 15-30 miles. The furthest station tower is 22 miles.

8. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I've got a roof mounted antenna of similar design, except it's about twice as big (8 of those bowties). I got it specifically to get UHF HDTV sifnals, which it does quite well. It also pulls in VHF signals well (6 & 12, both are about 12 miles away) as long as they are in the same direction.

9. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Chris,

Did antennaweb say that any of those digital stations were vhf? (note that each station has an analog and a digital frequency, and those frequencies can be on different bands.

For example, In washington dc
    WRC is vhf, broadcasting on channel 4
    WRC-DT is uhf, broadcasting on channel 48

Since all of my digital channels are actually uhf channels, I can get by with a silver sensor, which is insensitive to vhf channels below 7.

But in some other markets, some of the digital simulcasts use vhf channels, and receiving those with a uhf-only antenna is difficult, to say the least.

Julian:

From the "antenna performance" link

An eight bay, however, has terrible WAF.

10. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Jeez, she even cares what goes on the ROOF?

The info on the 4228 is interesting. I think that is the model I bought, but I can't remember for sure.

I still watch cable for most things, and usually only watch HDTV for golf and the few prime time HDTV shows that I really care about (24, etc).

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Antennas can be frustrating and part black magic. I spent way to much time hanging from 80 ft towers during my younger years.....

If you have many stations from different directions try a omni-directinal antenna first since you won't have to hassle with a rotor. Since terrain affects the signal,it really varies but the higher it is, the better chance you have. The less around the antenna the better.
    Good luck
    Grant

12. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer