OTA antenna/HD antenna

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Jay H, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hi, I have just moved and this friday, I have an installer coming to install a dish at my new place (using the DishMover service).

I also just bought an HDTV-ready LCD screen and I am looking to install an external antenna to pick up broadcast stations OTA, WCBS, WABC, Fox, etc. etc. because I think I'm in a location where I can get a good signal. I also want to get an OTA HD tuner and connect that to my LCD screen somewhere down the line.

I'm wondering about installation? I believe that a HD antenna is basically a good UHF antenna that is directional where I can point it to my HD source. I live about 30 miles as-the-crow-flys from NYC where they broadcast HD from the empire state.

Now for my question, how does one hook up a external antenna for both regular OTA signal and HD? Would I need two 75ohm coax cables one feeding my TV through the RF input and another feeding an HD tuner and then that HD tuner?? Or does it use 1 cable with a splitter?

I believe both my VHF and UHF sources would be from the same location (towards NYC) so I think I may be able to get away with a combo VHF/UHF antenna..

Lastly, I hope I'm posting this in the right place.... [​IMG]

Jay

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    AntennaWeb will confirm this.

-Robert

3. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Robert J,

I too am in the planning stages of a HT project and I was planning on using OTA HD broadcasts for my HD source. But I'm confused maybe you can clear it up for me.

Why do you need two coax cables? I thought that both HD and SD were picked up buy the same antenna. Do you need to run one cable to the STB and then one to the TV. The TV that I'm interested in has an internal tuner and I was under the impression that all I needed was one coax to the TV from the antenna and the TV would take care of the rest.

Or is that necessary due to Jay H's TV being HD-ready and not HD-built in?

Just trying to straighten this out in my mind.

Thanks

4. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Correct -- if the TV has built-in NTSC/QAM/ATSC tuners. Then you just connect the coax and have the TV do the scan. The OP's TV doesn't have the ATSC tuner so he'll need to feed it separately.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Dick is correct. The way I read the question from the OP, he was going to use an external HD tuner.

-Robert

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yup, that is the plan... my LCD TV does not have a built-in HD tuner. However antennaweb seems to think I'm out of range from NYC. I plugged in my home address and my work address, when I plug in my work address which is about 8 miles closer to NYC, I see WCBS-DT, ABC-DT, etc, etc. but they disappear off my list when I plug in my home address.

It remains to be seen, perhaps I can borrow my friend's tuner to try it out before I commit to it.

Jay