What's new

will these tweets and mids work together? (1 Viewer)

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
so i think i overlooked something when i was ordering all of my equipment for my DIY setup. i bought THESE TWEETERS along with THESE MIDS and i planned on running them on THIS CROSSOVER

the mid is 8 ohms, the tweeter is 4 ohms. is this going to work, or do i need to get some different tweeters?

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
Mind you, I'm not even close to being a novice on this subjec Joe, but let's look at a couple of things.

First the tweeter.

*Frequency range: 3,500 - 25,000 Hz

Notice the low freq on the tweeter? 3,500?

Your woofer...

*Frequency range: 40-2,200 Hz
Notice the high on them? 2,800 hz?

The crossover.

A 12 dB per octave high pass filter with your choice of either a 3,000 Hz or 5,000 Hz crossover point.

Seems to me, you'll have a pretty big hole in listening to them.

I hope someone with more experience will pipe in but it looks like you need a tweeter that can play lower or a midwoofer that can be crossed over higher.

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
Depends on your amp and again I'm not an expert, but my personal opinion is to stick with a two way crossover as 3 way are more complicated.

That would mean picking a different tweeter or a different midwoofer.

Will it work with those speakers listed? Probably not a problem.
If the amp your using can handle a 4 ohm load, you should be ok no matter what the impedence ends up being.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
The impedance mismatch is a problem, but that is the least of the problems with your plan. To use those 3 drivers, you will need a complex crossover circuit to divide the signal into the 3 bands appropriate for the 3 drivers. The "crossover" from your link merely is a high pass filter to protect the tweeter from the damage of low frequencies. You cannot get a good result combining 3 drivers with "off the shelf" crossover components. The crossover must be custom designed in concert with your enclosure and baffel using test equipment. Another problem with you plan is that the tweeter is not in the same league with your proposed woofer. The cheap tweeter will drag down the performance if the project wasting the money spent on the woofer.

The solution is to follow a recipe where someone with the skill and equipment has already done the heavy lifting. There are hundreds of free proven designs. Start with this.
http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=main.html

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
i was never intending on using a three way crossover. I was planning on running those midrange as my center channel. just to clear up everything, i'll list everything and how i was planning on setting it up.

i'm going to have two towers, each one will have TWO OF THESE and TWO OF THESE. then i was going to use one of THESE for each pair of woofer and tweeter.

then the rear surround i was going to use ONE OF THESE and ONE OF THESE with the same crossover as the towers, and there will be two surrounds each on their own channel.

the center channel, i was planning on using TWO OF THESE and one of the same tweeters that are in the towers and surround. as for the crossover, im not sure what i'm going to do for that yet.

i'm going to be running an external amplifier to power a 15" dayton titanic, and i'm building my own enclosure for that. as for a receiver, i'm running a yamaha htr-5280.

i'm on a tight budget, so i dont know if i can afford to be buying any nice crossovers.

i appreciate all the help

Jonathan Lofgren

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not an expert and there are plenty here that know a lot more than me, but I would not use those parts together. It is almost never a good idea to use an "off the rack" crossover. Those RS woofers you're looking at are quite nice and could be used to make some really good sounding speakers. With that said, there are several reasons why those tweeters and mids won't work together too well, especially if those are the only two drivers you'd like to use. There are quite a few plans available online that might work for what you want. Since you have a subwoofer you wouldn't have to worry about reproducing the lowest frequencies with your speakers. This kit would be pretty good. These would be even cheaper and you wouldn't need to build a cross over. There are quite a few different projects on-line if you have something else in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks