What's new

Will the Police ever reunite for an album/concert? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well? I hope so, but I'm thinking the prospects of a Police reunion are bleak at this time.

I think "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" is my favorite Police song.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
No.
Actually they played a reunion set at Sting's wedding for fun, but only guests got to see it. :)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I think the other members would like to, but Sting's ego is too big at this point!

My vote's for "Tea In The Sahara."

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
It's a nice thing to imagine happening. I'd hope they'd be able to sound great after years apart, like the Eagles did for their HFO tour.

Slightly Off-topic: Andy Summers will be 60 this year, right?

-JNS

NP: Somethin' Else (Cannonball Adderly, RVG Edition)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Actually they played a reunion set at Sting's wedding for fun, but only guests got to see it.
Not too long ago, Sting went on record as saying that, as usual, they played "Message In A Bottle" way too fast, which pissed him off at his own wedding.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I think they'd sound great if they played again. If a band reunites and sounds bad, it's usually because the singer's voice got ruined. Sting can sing just as well as he did (not like he had such a great voice to begin with).

I think Sting considers his solo music more of a "progress" for him, and I'd be surprised if he wanted to get back together. He's too busy playing award shows and benefit concerts.

My Favorite Police songs:

Walking On the Moon

When the World is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around

Spirits in the Material World

Favorite album: Zenyatta Mundatta

NP: Chucho Valdez, Bele Bele en La Habana, CD

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Sting's made many appearances over the years on Andy Summers' extremely excellent jazz albums, both singing and playing bass (upright and electric). Speaking of which, am I the only one here who loves Andy Summers' fantastic jazz efforts?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Philip,

I really dig Andy Summers' guitar work with The Police, but am not familiar with any of his solo jazz material. Can you recommend a "first" CD for me?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Most of Summers' wonderful Jazz stuff is out of print. A complete discography is available at http://www.andysummers.com/ . His Latest two albums, PEGGY'S BLUE SKYLIGHT and GREEN CHIMNEYS have been tributes to two of his favorite jazz musicians, Charlie Mingus and Thelonious Monk respectively. They are both excellent. His last album of original material was THE LAST DANCE OF MR X, which features Gregg Bissonette on drums and Tony Levin on bass. My personal favorite is "The Golden Wire", long out of print (the record dompany folded).
I would recommend starting with the Windam Hill Retrospective.
NP: Wings: Back to the Egg

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Chances of a Police reunion?
I'd say slim and none, but "slim" is probably over-optimistic, so I'll stick with "none."
Besides, I doubt Sting's lite-jazz-Muzak leanings of late would mate well with Stewart's recent work like Oysterhead... :)
Ryan

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
Ever heard of a snowball in hell? Lol.
I don't want the Police to reunite for an album or a concert. While I never got to see them live in their day, I think their work does not need to be revisited. The players are all totally different people than they were then, with the exception that they still all have mercurial personalities and hate each other's guts. I don't see what them getting together now would add to what they have done in the past, and I think they each have plenty of fresh stuff to show how their music has changed.
Plus, Sting was pretty much the driving force behind the music in the later days, and we all know how his music has diverged from the Police since then:) I miss the angry young man Sting *tear*.
My favorite Police song? Spirits in the Material World - I absolutely love the little keyboard counterpoint that comes in after the first stanza.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks