What's new

will progressive scan give me a better picture ona a stansard rptv (1 Viewer)

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
I have a 53 inch sony and am wondering if this will improve the picture quality. It is capable of 840 lines of resolution. could someone help me? thank you

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If your TV is not capable of handling more than a 15.75 kHz signal, which I assume is what you mean by a "regular" TV, then you will not be able to use a progressive player. You need to upgrade your TV.
------------------

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
does that mean it wont do anything to improve or will th epicture not show up properly? it is a standard non HD tv if that helps

JohnHN

Stunt Coordinator
Unless the set is what Sony calls a hi scan, it will not be able to display a 480p signal. The fact that it claims however many lines of (vertical?) resolution is irrelevant.
I used to think that getting a progressive player wouldn't hurt in cases like this; sure, you'd have to use the player in interlaced mode, wasting the deinterlacing feature that you paid for, but since the newest and best players are progressive, maybe the extra cost of the progressive player would be worth it for other features (e.g. better D/A conversion). There's a catch, however. It turns out that there is a weird ergonomic problem with using players that use the Mediamatics chip. See, for example, the description of the Malata, Apex, and JVC in
Link Removed
Personally, I'd go with the Panasonic 31 or something similar and call it a day until you get an HD set.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks