What's new

Will Pearl Harbor:Vista Series Director's Cut have DTS? (1 Viewer)

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I know that the theaterical version DVD to be released on December 4th has a DTS track but I'm unclear about the director's cut. I read a rumor that the DTS track had to be dropped on the director's cut because of a bit rate problem?? Can anyone confirm if Pearl Harbor:Vista Series Director's Cut will have a DTS track? Thanks.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
As the director's cut will be split to two discs (as Almost Famous DC should have been for the best audio and video possible-- currently it's one disc sans the great DTS track) I've heard the Pearl Harbor DC will have DTS.

Dan

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I just watched the 60th commemorative edition (I'm not sure if that's the director's cut) and it had DTS. The mix was very well done. And that was the ONLY thing well done.

The movie sucked. Michael Bay + Directing = lame/over-dramatic

Hubert

Second Unit
Why in God's name is the movie spilt between two discs? I thought that crap ended with Laserdiscs. And when did this DVD come out?

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Mr. Prior,

Thanks for your response. I'm sure it will be a fantastic set like all the other DVD's you've produced. Is May 2002 an accurate time frame as some e-tailers have listed? Thanks again.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
The question was "will there DTS in the 'directors cut'
I did discuss that. Then, I added my opinion of the movie. Both were legit for me because I just watched the DVD exactly 1.17 hours ago. I know that I am probably alone in my opinion and wish to state it. I stated it (maybe in a harsh manner, but not in such a fashion as to "be rude."). After I posted that someone posted a thread concerning the movie/DVD.

Sorry if you or anyone else was offended by my opinion.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I've not seen it yet (I'm going to rent the UK release before probably getting the Director's Cut, but I'm having to wait until my DVD player is in the same house as the 5.1 system!) but from short clips and screenshots I'd be prepared so say that I think the transfer looks pretty blimmin' well done as well. You may not like the film (I may not like the film once I've seen it either) but the presentation of it looks superb. Getting up for a disc change is little bother for me; I have to do the same with Saving Private Ryan, and that has two side-changes as well.

David Prior

Insider
Tony:

Thanks. And yes, the four disc set comes out in May.

For those of you concerned about why the movie is split over two discs, the answer is we were trying to think of any and all ways to annoy as many consumers as possible.

Actually, it's because we did a compression test to see what the picture would look like on one disc and it was inferior. Splitting it over two discs drastically improved the picture quality, particularly with DTS included.

Michael Bay did not want the intermission, but once he saw the test, he decided in favor of quality. I think it was the right one. I hope you agree.

Cheers,

David.

Mark E J

Second Unit
David,
I noticed that two of the documentaries that were originally listed to be on the 60th anniversary version are no longer there. I was wondering why they were removed and if they will be included in the Vista Series set?
I can't remember the names of the documentaries but one was to be about the attack itself and the other about the veterans returning to the Arizona Memorial.

Luis A

Second Unit
Mr. Prior, fantastic work on Pearl Harbor. The video is absolutely stunning, and the DTS track simply ROCKS!:)
Take care, Luis

David..
Thanks from Europe! amazing 2disc set - Superior sound and Picture.
A bit dissapointed though, that the movie is split into 2 disc's, hearing that the dir cut also will be split.
OKi i like DD and dts, but why put a Soundtrack made for headphones on a DVD? :) (Dolby Headphone Soundtrack)

David Prior

Insider
Peter:

I'm glad you like the disc. If you listen to the Dolby Headphone track through a set of high-quality headphones, I think you'll hear why we wanted to put it on the disc. If you're watching late at night, but still want a decent 5.1 sound, the track will give it to you. It's pretty cool.

Mark:

There will be more docs on the 4-disc director's cut which comes out in May. Apart from all the making-of supplements that have been keeping me up all night the last few months, there will also be some very extensive historical peices. Everything on the current release will be there, plus added stuff. (The Interactive Time Line is particularly interesting).

Cheers,

David.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
David : Wow.. I can't wait for the 4 disc set. The only thing keeping me from going completely crazy is knowing that I'll have various other discs to enjoy before it comes out.

As a DVD reviewer this Vista Series release is going to be the end of me. 4 discs, multiple commentaries on a 3 hr movie, documentaries. Looks like I'm not going to be sleeping much come May 15th

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
But the director's cut Vista Series will only contain that cut, right?

(trying to justify the purchase of the other one somehow...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks