What's new

Will or Should the Men in Black 2 DVD include the original ending featuring WTC? (1 Viewer)

Douglas Kalon

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody know if the Men in Black 2 DVD will include the original ending that featured the World Trade Center? Either in actual footage or in storyboard form?

Or should not include the original ending?

Personally I would like to see what the original ending was going to be.
And I know that it still hasn't been anounced for DVD release officially yet, but I am sure they are already working on it.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
It should be on there and you shuld be able to watch that version via seamless branching. Heck the movie is short enough that space shouldn't be a problem.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
If it's in any form, it will be storyboards, since the way I've heard it is, the originally planned ending was never filmed. In that case, they won't even have dialogue to loop over storyboards. I'm not too interested in it, but if they want to include it, I see no problem.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
If it's in any form, it will be storyboards, since the way I've heard it is, the originally planned ending was never filmed.
I may be wrong on this, but from what I read after 9/11 the primary filming for the ending was finished. All they had to do was insert the CGI. So if it is on the DVD(And I hope it is), it will have sound but no CGI. But will look a little wierd with out all the CGI that probablly have been there.

Joe

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I think they still needed to do pickup shots at the very least. I don't see it as necessary to this movie as much as I'd like to see the WTC trailer on Spider-man. I certainly wouldn't object to it's inclusion though.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
According to an article in this week's Entertainment Weekly the WTC scene consisted of

a ship blasting off from the roof of one of the towers

and was replaced with

a ship blasting off from an "anonymous building."

So it sounds entirely possible to me that the effects were just done differently in post and the "original" scene doesn't exist at all. In any case, this article made it sound more like a single scene and not an "alternate ending."

Ryan

Brenton

Screenwriter
That's what angers me about post-9/11 sensitivity. It's like the movie industry is supposed to pretend that there never was a World Trade Center. How many people are going to run home from the theater in tears because *gasp* they SAW the towers in a movie!!

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
How many people are going to run home from the theater in tears because *gasp* they SAW the towers in a movie!!
Probably the same clueless nimrods who wanted J.R.R. Tolkein to somehow come out of his grave to force Peter Jackson to change the name of the upcoming "The Two Towers" out of respect for 9/11.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I wouldn't be too hard on Sony.

It's possible that the background plates needed for the scene were going to be shot after 9-11, and they obviously couldn't get them.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Probably the same clueless nimrods who wanted J.R.R. Tolkein to somehow come out of his grave to force Peter Jackson to change the name of the upcoming "The Two Towers" out of respect for 9/11.
This just in: next The Lord of the Rings film to be called The One Tower and Another One. I'm not offended, are YOU?
Speaking of which: wasn't there a petition for this? Can someone PLEASE provide me the link to the petition, I'd love to read those idiotic signatures!

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be interested in the scene. And also the script with the original ending (possibly story boarded), because I heard this film had like tons of different endings and that they started shooting with no ending written. And I'd like to see if the final one they went with (which I hated) was truly the best of the bunch. :)

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
That's what angers me about post-9/11 sensitivity. It's like the movie industry is supposed to pretend that there never was a World Trade Center. How many people are going to run home from the theater in tears because *gasp* they SAW the towers in a movie!!
---------------------------
No kidding, everytime they show up in an old film on tv I point at the screen and feign trauma...I think my wife is getting tired of it ;).
I think it would have been enough to delay films like Spider-Man, etc. out of respect for the fallen and just show them as is.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
You know, Brenton, I really agree with you 100% on this sentiment, but I don't think that this particular case (MIB2) is an example of it.
MIB2 is being released quite some time after September 11. I'm sure the changes are due more to the fact that it just wouldn't make SENSE to show the WTC in a movie taking place in 2002 than to political-correctness or hypersensitivity.
It would be anachronistic (I think that's the word :) ) to include them.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I can't beleive nearly 4000 people signed that ridiculous petition. I haven't read the replies, but I hope a good portion of them are contrary to the petition context. What a crackpot! "An obvious reference"... Apparently Tolkein was more like Nostradamus.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
According to http://www.perpetualcomics.com/Column.asp?ColId=201, he claims that he did it as a political satire to see how people would react.
I'm not sure if he's serious about that or he's just looking for a way to save himself from being flayed and stuffed to hang from a tree while allowing his innards to be devoured by Al-Quaida once they find out that the remains are from an American. (I figured that my statement should be as ridiculous as his.)
:D :D :D

Brenton

Screenwriter
I've just read the first four pages, and I found that two of them were names with no comments (so I don't know if they were serious or not) and two of them had comments that MAY have been non-sarcastic in actually wanting the name changed. Everyone else is making me laugh to tears with all their flaming. It's hilarious! I encourage everyone to read this. It's great!

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
It's not about not wanting to make people cry, it's about not wanting to distract the viewer. If the the WTC were to appear in a major theatrical release this summer, it would stick out like a sore thumb and take away from whatever experience the filmmakers are going for. When I saw Don't Say A Word in theatres here in NYC, viewers were whispering to one another and pointing at the screen whenever long shots of the skyline (with WTC included) appeared. If I was a filmmaker, that is an occurance I would like to reduce as much as possible.
DJ

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
When I saw Don't Say A Word in theatres here in NYC, viewers were whispering to one another and pointing at the screen whenever long shots of the skyline (with WTC included) appeared.
Hey, Damin! We agree! Imagine that! :D
Movies that are released after 9/11 should not have the WTC - not to protect the hyper-sensitive but to give the feeling of "present day" or now I suppose "future time". Unless the scene in question is meant to be a flashback to the recent past, any new movie with the WTC in it from this point on would seem to be out of place.
I too liked the scene in the Spider-Man preview with the WTC, but when they removed it and added the brief "Since the attack..." line, it made the movie seem like it was happening today which is what a movie like that is supposed to do.
Now, on the other hand, anyone who thinks that PAST movies need to be re-edited to remove the WTC needs to have their head examined. I'm waiting for some twit to say that John Carpenter needs to re-shoot "Escape from New York" because of the WTC so that I can virtually throw eggs at him. :D

DanHaya

Second Unit
I agree with what everyone has said. I would love to see the original ending in the supplements, if possible.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but during the final chase scene through the streets on Manhattan, they pass by a street sign that says "World Trade Center". I wonder if that was something that was overlooked or if they filmmakers decided to leave that in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks