What's new

will IR reflect off a mirror? (1 Viewer)

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Having bought a front projector, I am in the process of redoing my home theater. I got rid of my big RPTV and moved my 2 equipment racks to the side of the room, thus freeing up the whole front wall for the screen and 3 front speakers.

BUT....now I'm having trouble getting my remote controls to work with the equipment in the far rack: the angle is so acute that the IR sensors won't pick up the signals unless I get up out of my chair. :) Yes, I'm lazy.

What if I placed some little mirrors on the front edge of the equipment rack? Would these reflect the IR beam onto the sensors? Or do I need one of those IR repeaters?

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
So do you think the little mirror trick will work?

This may require some experimentation. I need several small mirrors, some adjustable hingey thingys, and some stick-to-anything epoxy glue.......

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
IR is just like visable light. Sight it in using a pen laser or a flashlight. I would guess you have a good chance of getting that to work. You could also get a repeater but that wouldnt be as much fun as the mirrors.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
You could go with one long mirror (like a mirror used on a closet door for dressing) on the opposite wall from your equipment rack instead of several small mirrors. You should be able to bounce any of your remotes off the one mirror to have the corresponding piece of equipment pick up the right signal.

Kevin R

Auditioning
My IR bounces of my Stewart Firehawk :)

I have the universal remote control (URC300) that can support an HF adapter (MRF-100), but so far because the equipment is exposed just facing my back If I point to the screen it works..

Nice for now - but I will be adding the HF soon once I get my cabinet.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A decent remote will be powerful enough to reflect from the walls. In my previous apartment, the DVD player was a bit low, so I'd often point the remote at the back wall or the ceiling and bank-shot the power-off.

You may find you can accomplish your goal without a mirror, just by aiming at the right part of the room. Check the batteries too; that can make a difference.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Some of it also depends on the gear in question. Sony's IR sensors for example have a much narrower working angle then say Panasonic or Rotel etc. In my case my gear rack's about 8 feet from my main chairs recessed into the wall so I too have problems with getting the gear to respond all the time if I'm sitting back to far. The Rotel, Panasonic and Expressvu sat receiver never have a problem but the Sony gear is hit and miss most of the time even with my Pronto which is one of the stronger IR emmiters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks