will IR reflect off a mirror?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Julian Reville, May 2, 2005.

1. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Having bought a front projector, I am in the process of redoing my home theater. I got rid of my big RPTV and moved my 2 equipment racks to the side of the room, thus freeing up the whole front wall for the screen and 3 front speakers.

BUT....now I'm having trouble getting my remote controls to work with the equipment in the far rack: the angle is so acute that the IR sensors won't pick up the signals unless I get up out of my chair. [​IMG] Yes, I'm lazy.

What if I placed some little mirrors on the front edge of the equipment rack? Would these reflect the IR beam onto the sensors? Or do I need one of those IR repeaters?

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Yep!

3. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

So do you think the little mirror trick will work?

This may require some experimentation. I need several small mirrors, some adjustable hingey thingys, and some stick-to-anything epoxy glue.......

4. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

IR is just like visable light. Sight it in using a pen laser or a flashlight. I would guess you have a good chance of getting that to work. You could also get a repeater but that wouldnt be as much fun as the mirrors.

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    You could go with one long mirror (like a mirror used on a closet door for dressing) on the opposite wall from your equipment rack instead of several small mirrors. You should be able to bounce any of your remotes off the one mirror to have the corresponding piece of equipment pick up the right signal.

6. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    What about switching to an RF remote? Plan B could be to hang a disco ball [​IMG]

7. Kevin R

Kevin R Auditioning

My IR bounces of my Stewart Firehawk :)

I have the universal remote control (URC300) that can support an HF adapter (MRF-100), but so far because the equipment is exposed just facing my back If I point to the screen it works..

Nice for now - but I will be adding the HF soon once I get my cabinet.

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    A decent remote will be powerful enough to reflect from the walls. In my previous apartment, the DVD player was a bit low, so I'd often point the remote at the back wall or the ceiling and bank-shot the power-off.

You may find you can accomplish your goal without a mirror, just by aiming at the right part of the room. Check the batteries too; that can make a difference.

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Some of it also depends on the gear in question. Sony's IR sensors for example have a much narrower working angle then say Panasonic or Rotel etc. In my case my gear rack's about 8 feet from my main chairs recessed into the wall so I too have problems with getting the gear to respond all the time if I'm sitting back to far. The Rotel, Panasonic and Expressvu sat receiver never have a problem but the Sony gear is hit and miss most of the time even with my Pronto which is one of the stronger IR emmiters.