What's new

Will I be able to play DVD Audio discs with my Yamaha DSP-A1? (1 Viewer)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I think so. Doesn't that model have a 5.1 analog input? Look in the manual or on the back panel and see if there's one there, it will be six RCA inputs grouped together.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jens, Keith (the other Keith ;)) is right. The only other question is whether or not the 5.1-channel inputs on the 'A1 bypass the DSP (Digital Signal Processor). On most receivers and pre/pros, the multi-channel inputs bypass the DSP by default. If the multi-channel inputs on the 'A1 do not bypass the DSP, the incoming analog signals will be processed through its A/D and D/A converters, which can cause loss of fidelity. The 'A1 was a top-notch component when it was released, so I would bet that the multi-channel inputs bypass the DSP.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Jens, the DSP-A1 will play DVD-Audio discs just fine. Connect the DVD-A player's analogue outputs to the six-channel analogue inputs on the back of the amp then hit the 'Tape 2 Mon' button on the A1's remote twice and you're away.

The six-channel inputs bypass the amp's internal DACs and DSP engine leaving the DVD-Audio untouched. I have an SACD player hooked up to my A1 and it sounds great.

Adam

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
Thanks alot for helping me out!:)
Would the Pioneer DV-757ai DVD Player be a good choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks