What's new

Will converted current damage the sound??? (1 Viewer)

BarOr

Stunt Coordinator
I dont live in the U.S and I would like to buy a reciver (Marantz 7300ose) in the U.S becuse its less expensive. In my country the current is 220v 50Hz therefor I would like to buy a transformer that will convert the current to 110v 60Hz (is this the current in the U.S?) .
Will it damage the sound ? I asked an expert (so it seems) and he told me that it will damage the sound badly.
Thank you

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
Chances are your receiver will work properly but you will probably not get the maximum power rating out of your amplifier section. The 50Hz frequency is the problem as the power supply in the amp was designed for 60 Hz operation so you will not get the proper DC voltage on your amps supply rails. This means your amp will begin to go into clipping sooner. Most 60Hz transformers will work just fine using only 50Hz supplies. I really see no reason why you couldn't order the receiver from the US. The sound coming out of your receiver will be just fine.

BarOr

Stunt Coordinator
But the transformer (outside transformer that i will buy in my country) will convert it for 60Hz to 50Hz and the power power (of the reciver) supply should get 60Hz. In that case what is the problem?

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
If the transformer you buy converts 220V 50hz to 110 60Hz you will have no issues. If the external transfromer you by converts to 110V 50Hz then you may have (most likely not) the problems I described in my previous post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks