What's new

Widescreen Xbox gaming questions (1 Viewer)

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
I have the Panasonic Tau CT-34WX50. I have my Xbox set to widescreen mode, and it is connected to my TV via the component inputs. So far I have played all games that do not support widescreen in stretch mode and they look great, so I never bothered changing the TV to normal aspect ratio (4:3). I have games like HALO, PGR, SSX, & Munch's Oddyssey.

So yesterday I boot up NFL Fever and it doesnt look too great stretched out and I tried to change the TV back to 4:3. The aspect ratio would only switch between FULL and ZOOM modes. I consulted the hardware manual for the television and learned that when a 1080i or 480p signal is detected thru the component inputs, I could only switch between the ZOOM and FULL modes. Hmmm.

So... I start thinking that maybe its not worth it to use component inputs (High Definition AV Pack) and switch over to S-Video (Advanced AV Pack). Will I suffer much video quality loss? Is it worth it?

JamesH

Supporting Actor
One thing to do is try experimenting with different aspect ratios in the Xbox system menu. You may be able to get things matched up.

I definately wouldn't drop down to S-VIDEO, you'll lose a lot of picture quality. Not only will you lose the requisite color depth and sharpness, but you'll also be losing the progressive scan capabilities. Totally not worth it IMO. Go get yourself a nice widescreen game like DOA3.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Halo and PGR are stretched. You can tell by the circular aiming reticle and the tachometer. Fever just looks extra stretched because the linemen are so ... horizontally challenged. Personally, I don't mind Fever because those fatties on the line are easily 350 lbs. I'm pretty sure Madden has a true 16:9 mode, though. So if you're set on non-stretched games, you'll have to swap.

edit: Ok, after re-reading your post more carefully I see that you already know you're playing stretched games. /me slaps his forehead ... I just wanted to point out that Madden is supposed to have true 16:9.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks