What's new

Why use dual terminal on sub? (1 Viewer)

Larry Noud

Grip
I know this sounds like a dumb question,but why use the dual terminal instead of the standard terminal.I am asking this because I am about to build a sonotube sub with a Tempest driver and soon after I will build another one just like it.I have 2 channels of power from my Sherbourn 5/1500 which is 200 by 2 into 8 ohms or 300 by 2 into 4 ohms.Why not just use a regular terminal for each sub to hook to my Sherbourn.Your input is desperatly needed.

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the Tempest has two voice coils each having connectors. If you use a input cup with one set of terminals, you would would then have to wire both voice coils to the same set (either parallel or serial). Then you would use one channel from an amp to power both coils.
If you use a dual input cup, you can wire each voice coil to a different set of terminals. At this point you can wire the two coils anyway you want. 1) One amp both coils wired together in parallel. 2) One amp both coils wired together in series. 3) Two amp channels, one for each voice coil.
So, the simple answer is for flexibility. Also since the price difference is very small, it is an easy choice.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Larry,
Not sure what you mean by “regular terminals,” but the Shiva has two voice coils. Since you have a stereo amp, connect a speaker wire from each amp channel one of the voice coils.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks