What's new
World Wide Stereo

Why is Dolby Vision playing at 1080? (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Video, and especially the latest advancements, aren't my wheelhouse, but I've been taking the steps to moving to UHD, Atmos, etc over the last several months. I just upgraded the display in my living room system to a Vizio M558-G1 (extremely happy so far. What a bargain display) and as I've been checking out different things, I discovered it won't display Dolby Vision at 2160. It defaults back to 1080. My sources are an ATV 4K and a cheap Philips UHD player, 7503 I think.

When I watch Jessica Jones (which says it's DV) from the ATV 4K, I get HDR10 on the TV. When I play a HDR10 UHD (Star Trek in this case) the player shows 2160 24Hz HDR input and 2160 24Hz HDR output. When I play a DV UHD disc (Hell or High Water) it shows 2160 24Hz DV input and 1080 60Hz DV output. Nothing seems to change that.

The receiver is a Marantz SR7012 with current firmware. Scaling in the receiver is deactivated. I leave that to the ATV and UHD player.

Cables are all brand new Monoprice high speed certified hdmi and short runs. 2x three foot.

I have no idea why DV is being downscaled to 1080 with UHD discs. It's not clear to me that the ATV will pass DV at 2160, since the only DV option on the output is 1080. Of course, Jessica Jones isn't 4K anyway.

I wonder if a simple solution is to switch to a UHD player that doesn't have DV, like the Panasonic UB420. Won't it play back DV titles in HDR10?

Last edited:
728x90

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I tested a stream of Jessica Jones and it plays in 4k DV. Under Video/Audio settings I have 4K Dolby Vision @60hZ selected.

I would make sure the TV has Full UHD Color enabled in the settings and then have the Apple TV test the HDMI connection. If everything is 4k HDR capable and settings are correct, then 4K DV should show up as an option under Video and Audio settings.

We have similar systems - Marantz SR7010 and Apple TV 4k - so if you want to compare settings I would be more than happy to assist. Unfortunately I don't have a Vizio TV to look up where to activate the Full color mode.

Brian

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Found this:
  1. Once connected, you will need to go into the TV's menu with the VIZIO remote and select Input Settings, then select the HDMI port your device is connected to and turn on the Full UHD Color option. This will enable HDR content on the TV.

Sounds like you may have done this already but I would double check it and then run the HDMI test from the Apple TV under Video and Audio settings. The test can take a while to run.

Brian

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I tested a stream of Jessica Jones and it plays in 4k DV. Under Video/Audio settings I have 4K Dolby Vision @60hZ selected.

I would make sure the TV has Full UHD Color enabled in the settings and then have the Apple TV test the HDMI connection. If everything is 4k HDR capable and settings are correct, then 4K DV should show up as an option under Video and Audio settings.

We have similar systems - Marantz SR7010 and Apple TV 4k - so if you want to compare settings I would be more than happy to assist. Unfortunately I don't have a Vizio TV to look up where to activate the Full color mode.

Brian
OK, maybe that narrows things down a bit. The ATV doesn’t give me 4K DV as an option. Only 4K HDR, but I leave that off, with Dynamic Range set to match the original. The only video output option for DV is 1080.

UHD Color is activated on the TV. Before I did that, there was no HDR of any kind.

Do you have scaling enabled on the SR7010?

I have tested the hdmi connection with the ATV 4K and it says there’s no problem.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Found this:
  1. Once connected, you will need to go into the TV's menu with the VIZIO remote and select Input Settings, then select the HDMI port your device is connected to and turn on the Full UHD Color option. This will enable HDR content on the TV.

Sounds like you may have done this already but I would double check it and then run the HDMI test from the Apple TV under Video and Audio settings. The test can take a while to run.

Brian
Yep. Did that.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m just going to try something basic, by unplugging all the hdmi cables and reconnecting them.

Some other troubleshooting, I guess. Run the video hdmi directly from the UHD player to the TV to see if it still downscales to 1080.

I even switched the video output on the UHD player from “Auto” to “4K”. No change.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 9.10.51 PM.png

These are the settings so I can view the volume bar when watching standard videos from Apple TV but when Dolby Vision plays, the receiver automatically switches over and I can no longer see the volume bar when I am adjusting the volume.

I have Apple TV set to match frame rate and Dynamic Range.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, your receiver IS scaling. So, how do you know the source is outputting 4K DV, rather than 1080 that is upscale by the receiver to 4K? That’s the I/p scaler, which I have disabled. I have Video Conversion on, which enables the volume OSD.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I've also watched it for months with IP Scaler Off and it came in at 4k DV. I can test it again tonight when I get home. On my Apple TV I have an option under Video settings to select 4K Dolby Vision @ 60Hz. If you're missing this option, there has to be a breakdown somewhere that is telling the Apple TV you don't have 4k capability.

Brian

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've also watched it for months with IP Scaler Off and it came in at 4k DV. I can test it again tonight when I get home. On my Apple TV I have an option under Video settings to select 4K Dolby Vision @ 60Hz. If you're missing this option, there has to be a breakdown somewhere that is telling the Apple TV you don't have 4k capability.

Brian
I can select 4K DV 24Hz and 4K HDR 60Hz. I’ll try swapping out the hdmi between the receiver and TV.

I’ll also try bypassing the receiver.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When I get home from work I'll swap a new cable between the receiver and TV, and if that doesn't work, I'll hook the ATV directly to the TV and see what that does. I guess we'll see.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Just a suggestion. I had to change this video setting (from Default to Enhanced) in my Denon AVR-X6500H to get 4K DV to display on my TCL 4K TV.

Denon.png

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hmm. Thanks. I'll have to dig into the settings on the SR7012, but that one doesn't look familiar. I have the sources set to the highest setting they have, either 4:2:2 or 4:4:4

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
I downloaded the Marantz SR7012 manual. Here is a screenshot of Page 203. Again, just a suggestion.

Marantz.png

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh man! The manual? Who looks at the manual? :P

The TV had that setting in the input setup where it wouldn't accept HDR until you enabled UHD Color. I have to wonder why these settings are needed to enable basic functions.

I have no recollection if I ever enabled "Enhanced" in the receiver, considering that when I got the receiver I didn't have a 4K TV.

Thanks.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Great find on the receiver setting. Even though I updated the firmware to do 4k DV, I don't have that 4k setting in my system. Looks like an option on the newer receivers. Damn, now I need to upgrade again...;)

I turned off Video Conversion and the I/P Scaler and played Jessica Jones again and it played in 4K DV.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks