What's new

Why I want the xbox to dominate other consoles. (1 Viewer)

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
Why standardize on X-Box, a system with a relatively low number of games compared to PS2, and that doesn't even count PS2's backward compatibility.
Let the new company with the least amount of experience in game consoles be the standard?
As far as games being ported, I remember what an improvement DOA2 HC (Ps2) was over DOA2 (DC). Nothing is wrong with porting games as long as it is done right. It is intresting to see an X-Box supporter use this argument since X-Bow was designed to make porting PC games easy.
Also, porting games is the solution, not the problem. You would not need multiple hardware boxes if every game ha a good port to every system. :)
The gamers will do their own standardization. It is called the market. Just ask Sega, Coleco, Mattel and Atari.
I know many are hoping for Sony to lower the cost on PS2 because of X-Box and GC (just like DC went down in price with the PS2). You realy want a world without these market forces in play?
Peter

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Thanks for that Brian - somehow I misunderstood them, and didn't realise they were going to charge for software licenses.

As for DOA2 I prefer the DC version, so I don't think its a great argument. By all accounts Tony Hawks 2 is a good reflection of how different platforms can perform differently however, as even ignoring the completely different GBA version the PS and DC are quite different, and the XBox 2x version is better still.

Jason Handy

Second Unit
Peter,
I agree with some of your points (especially your last one about price drops :)), but I think that the crux of this issue is not WHICH standard is adopted, but THAT a standard is adopted. I suggested above some stripped down Linux kernel with a brand new, non-proprietary chip architecture.
And, why wouldn't a developer want to use DirectX for their API? It is a mature concept (now on ver. 8), embraced by PC programmers, and it seems to be easier to work with than whatever the PS2 programmers are forced to use.
Ultimately, the benefit would come from shorter dev cycles, more features (because the devs would have an easier platform to work with and thus could spend more time putting cool stuff in the games), and more money in the pocket of the consumer to buy more games since they would not end up spending a ton of money on 3 consoles.
I agree with others' points about "what if I just want to play Zelda and Luigi and Waveracer?" - then you would only need one of the three platforms. But consider this point. How many of you own at least 2 of the 3 "next-gen" consoles? How much money have you spent on hardware (A/V packs, memory cards, extra controllers, etc.)? Third, if you had the choice to buy only one console and still have all these games, and end up with ~$400 left in your pocket, would you like that? I find it hard to argue with these points...we are all capitalists at heart.
But of course people, this is just mental mastu^&*tion. We all know that consoles will never follow a standard. I just thought that this topic would be good fodder for discussion among those of us who like to think about console gaming. We're not trying to change the world with this thread, it just allows all of us who participate a chance to work out the mind muscle and debate about what we love!

Rodrick

Second Unit
I think Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo should all come together and make 1 big massive console. It will play all old gamesystems and portables, plus can be upgraded to play in the future.

To make everyone happy make the system like a vcr/dvd player combo. But have 2 cartridge size slots and cd tray, even a vcr slot. And make it the weight of a regular vcr,width of the cube, Dvd recording capable, timers to tape shows, tivo and even LaserDisc top loader.

Make new games available in all formats, have online capabilities, make systems upgradable, consumers can buy upgraded chips when newer comes available.

2 wireless controllers kiddie size and adult. Have just 2 controller ports to add more controllers, and a sensor for both wireless and remotes for DVD.

The name can be called Consoledation X You will never need another gameconsole,dvdplayer,vcr,ld player again.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
The steller selling PC games tend to be the ones capable of running on the lowest common denominator machines
I dunno Brian, even though you wrote this back in 2001 I think you are wrong, just look at the sales DOOM3 has had, ~350,000 copies in a week.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
And that's shortterm sales - the games on the PC that get good sales week in & week out for months & months are lower specced titles like the Sims & RollerCoasterTycoon. You know a title like Doom is the exception, not the rule!

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
I hope that, even if the consoles remain separate, they all move more towards the DirectX API
Absolutely not. It's a good concept but a bad library as DirectX is Microsoft proprietary software running on Windows. Libraries like OpelGL that also work in Linux are much better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks