What's new

Why does it seem to always come down to Denon vs. HK? (1 Viewer)

Mark Russ

Second Unit
I've noticed here lately that most of these threads usually seem to come down to those two as everyone's final two choices at their price point/range. I realize that they are both good, reliable companies (I have a Denon 3802 and a Harman 8000 myself), but there are also other good ones out there, such as Onkyo, Marantz, NAD, Yamaha, etc.
If these threads are any kind of good indication, I'd venture to say that HK and Denon combined would probably outsell ALL of the rest of the brands put together. Am I alone in this?

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Mark: For mid to upper range receivers, it's hard to disagree that one or the other is on most people's shopping lists. I know for me, Denon will always be on my list. (Not an HK fan myself...)

But for entry level, I would bet that they don't come in much better than 4th or 5th. Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic and Kenwood have a much bigger presence at that level...

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Good point Chuck. I guess the fact is that the lower tier stuff like that (maybe even including HTIBs) probably account for the vast majority of sells, by far at that. A guy I work with recently bought a Sony HTIB from Target for $300. I tried to talk him into returning it and at least getting the Onkyo 6 channel HTIB from Circuit City (especially since he already had a seperate dvd player) for only a couple of hundred bucks more, but to no avail.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
"I have a Denon 3802 and a Harman 8000 myself"

Why did you make those choices? That's why it comes down to HK or Denon.

Doug

terence

Supporting Actor
I notice that it depends on what forum you are on. This forum love, hate certain products and i mean love and hate. Here on HTF Denon,HK,Anthem,Rotel,SVS,Velodyne,HSU and Paradigm just to name a few get a lot of love threads. Over at AVS they love Pioneer Elite,Sunfire,Rockets,SVS,B&K,NAD,Yamaha,Denon,HK and NHT that is just the way it is.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Doug Brewster
"I have a Denon 3802 and a Harman 8000 myself"

Why did you make those choices? That's why it comes down to HK or Denon.

Doug

Actually, for me, it came down to price as the final factor that sealed both deals. I got the 3802 last year from 6th Ave. when they had them for $699, and the 8000 from One Call earlier this year when they had them for less than $1200. I honestly don't think that for 2 system's receivers (8000 main and 3802 bedroom) that I could have possibly done any better for less than $2000 total for both. I kind of regret now that I didn't wait a little bit longer and get the HK 7200 and Denon 3803 (the immediate successors for my 2 models instead though, but there's no way I could have got them both for less than 2 grand.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Because they are two of the best brands, IMHO, along with Marantz, NAD, Rotel and are two of the most feature laden receivers for their price. NAD and Rotel esp are not as feature laden but have great musical sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks