What's new

why do so many people on this forum use paradigm speakers? (1 Viewer)

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Since this is an internet forum, I would expect more people to have more speakers available on ... the Internet. With Paradigm's tight restrictions on mail order and internet sales, I wouldn't expect them to have such a big presence on this forum.

Don't get me wrong. I like Paradigm speakers. For HT, they probably offer bass that is near best in class at their retail price. However, I think when compared to alot of other brands that are more heavily discounted from retail, you can get comparably performance for the same $$$ or less.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I can't commment on Paradigm in particular (though I am, in fact, a Paradigm owner), but one reason why most people on this forum have speakers that are NOT available via mail-order is that it is very important to demo a pair of speakers before laying out relatively large hunks of cash for them.
There are exceptions to this theory, the major one being SVS :D.

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
However, I think when compared to alot of other brands that are more heavily discounted from retail, you can get comparably performance for the same $$$ or less.
That's after discount, contenders include Energy, PSB, and Axiom (just to name some other canadians). One of the JBL models, S38, was highly praised in stereophile and in HT magazine. Aperion Audio (internet only), GR research (almost interent only, they're in Texas) and there are a lot more. Definitive tech, certain models, e.g. BP2006, are also great price/performance champs.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
If John Garcia wants to comment on his assesment on my $110.97 each JBL S26 vs. Paradigm Mini, then you'll get an idea of performance vs. price - I'll leave it to him to volunteer any comments, since it's his opinion.
Another fact about my JBL S26s price vs. performance value is somewhat reference in this article, ... one of the three speakers evaluated in a blind test @ HK blind-testing room called the Multichannel Listening Lab (MLL). OBJECTIVE SUBJECTIVITY - By Scott Wilkinson for Electronic Musician, Jul 1, 2001.
I'm happy w/my $110.97 JBL S26 (MSRP $199.99 each)! (bought four JBL S26 & JBL S-Center for $554.86 including 3-Day FedEX)
Phil

Martice

Screenwriter
There also seems to be a sense of security when you purchase what most people say is the "best way to go" on internet forums. If you can get a good listen to the speakers in question that's the biggest uphill climb you'd likely experience besides the financial requirements if you're an average 'JOE' like me. :)
I personally am very much into the internet purchase thing as well as my new love intrest which is the custom built circles. I have a pair of GR Research AV1+'s being built for me as we speak and look forward to experiencing even greater price/perfomance quality than I can afford going commercial or other wise.

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
Because nothing breeds success like success. It's a snowball effect. The more people that own and are happy with a certain brand, the more buzz it creates and the more folks that will buy the same brand. Nothing says more about how well somebody liked a particular product more than if they plunked down their own hard cash.
Paradigm is also priced directly in the "audiophile price void". There is a huge hole in price between the $5k esoteric speakers and the under $1k "Best Buy Brands". Plus they have good bang for the buck. Simple really, good product at a good price that is readily accessible to almost anyone. It's not surprising.
Now. With the advent of Internet communication the landscape is changing somewhat. SVS and the Swan Diva speaker line are good examples of great bang for the buck that are being sold almost entirely based on user feedback and the Internet community pulling together to organize auditions for interested parties.
It's really quite astounding and I think would make an interesting segment for 60 minutes (ya hear that Steve? You might be famous some day!). It's an amazing phenomenon that I believe has changed the landscape of audio sales for the better. :D

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
I owned a set of Paradigm speakers about 2 years ago. I think they were called LCR(something) for the front three and a pair of ADP(something) for the surrounds. They were about $200-$300 each. I thought they sounded good in the showroom, but I wasn't happy with their sound after I owned them for a while. They just didn't have the "smooth" and "natural" sound of my previous Mirage M7is's I owned. I sold the Paradigms and got the Mirage OM-10's. Oh yeah...much better :)

Ted Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Martice,

Congrats on the GR Research A/V-1. I personally am building a set of the Paradox 1's to go with the numerous other speakers in house.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Yup, The whole GR Research line brings a whole new meaning to price/performance ratio.

My AV1's are spectacular, especially for the price.

Wish I had the money for the AV1+'s.

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
When people refer to the Better Bang for the Buck theory, you really have to disregard the sound of the speaker for the most part because of people's personal preferences. You instead need to concentrate on build quality, customer support, strength of warranty etc. I own Paradigm Studio 100's. No one that owns Paradigm's is saying that they aren't any other speakers that compare in regards to bang for buck. We just decided on these speakers and are proud of the product and company.
I know how some people feel that don't own Paradigms and constanly hear the brand name mentioned...I don't own an SVS sub and sometimes I feel like this forum is nothing but a front to sell SVS subs :D

Martice

Screenwriter
Thanks Ted. I really had a hard time deciding which one to go for but decided to go for the AV1+'s because they will be doing double duty in my AV/HT system. However, they are so inexpensive that I could afford to have the Parodox 1's for my audio only system when I purchase my home of course.

You know it's funny that the word hasn't spread more about these speakers. I'll post some pictures of the construction of the speakers soon, as well as the finished pictures. I'm having mine finshed in a automotive metallic black with a clear protective covering to finish things off. And here's the big news. I sold off my PSB Goldi's to make the jump 'UP' to a three speaker set of AV1+'s.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I used to own Paradigm Mini Monitors, and now own GR Research Paradox 1s. You're really comparing apples to oranges here - a $300 retail speaker vs. a $500 DIY kit. There is absolutely no contest, the Paradox is a better speaker. However, it should be compared with $1K retail speakers.

If all you're looking for is sound/dollar, internet-direct products will be hard to beat. Retail products have other advantages, which may or may not be important to the buyer.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I agree 100% with what Dave said (except I own B&Ws), but critical listening to speakers is vital IMHO.

Martice

Screenwriter
That's funny Saurav. I've noticed that some have compared and preffered the Paradox 1's to speakers costing $2-$3,000 speakers. Have you ever compared your speakers to any of those speakers in that price range?

Just curious and would like to hear your thoughts.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know what speakers you would be talking about either, since Paradigm has won best price/performance budget speaker 11 years in a row....

But to the point, if you call kit speaker better price/performance, that is not fair at all. I have listened to Jeff's AV1s, and these will almost certainly be my next speakers. They are, without exception, an excellent value and performer for the price.

HOWEVER, you can't compare them to a mass produced speaker and expect the same price vs performance. If everyone started ordering AV1s, the cost would most likely go up also, because of the logistics involved in volume sales. I'm sure GR is not shipping thousands of these kits a month. I'd prefer to keep GR the size and quality it is right now, and if that mans not every Tom, Dick and Harry have these speakers in their home, then so be it. Let them do their research also.

Yes, I have also listened to Phil's S26 setup, and for the price he paid, I can't think of many speakers that are really better. There are plenty that are as good, but not necessarily better. I'm not really a JBL fan (thanks to their HLS period), but the S26 is not bad at anything. It has smooth, flat midrange and a soft sounding titanium tweeter. The tweeter is not exceptional to my ears, but it does it's job just fine. Not bright or harsh, but not quite as lively as I am used to with the Minis. I can't put my finger on it, but I prefer the tweeter of the Mini. The midrange has a good kick to it, and ample bass. Only negative of the S26, IMO, would be size. They are about 1-1/2 times the size of my Minis.

Speaking of size, the AV1s are SMALL, and produced almost as much bass as my Minis, in MY SYSTEM, while remaining very tight, even at reference level. This is impressive because the AV1 uses a 5-1/4" midbass driver vs a 6-1/2" in the Mini. They were not sensitive to placement, and imaged incredibly.

I've been into Paradigm for many years, mostly because of what you get for your money. Compared to most other mass market speakers in their price category, I still consider them very good performers and a good value. That does not mean there are not better speakers (regardless of price, higher or lower), nor does it mean that everyone should buy them. That is a personal choice. I've been happy with them.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Based on the what is inside of the S26 speakers and how good they sound JBL makes very nice speakers... IMO much better than what the average Joe deserves who buys JBLs because they are cheap and he needs some loud party speakers.
JBLs uses better parts than many speakers in its price range and 5 times it.
Thanks James for that comparison S26 vs. DIY, and Saurav for pointing out why many Audio & HT enthusiasts would DIY a speaker to achieve a price vs. performance advantage!
Now I understand why James asked those questions prior to getting the S26, and his thread posting after listening to the S26 and eventual dissecting them.
If I were younger and had the time, DIY sounds like fun!! :emoji_thumbsup: :D Meanwhile, love my JBL S26s!!!
EDIT: Thanks for your comments John! Good INFO in this thread for all!
Phil

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
When I said 1K retail, I think that's roughly the suggested retail price mentioned on the website. Performance-wise, I agree, people have compared them to speakers in the 2K - 3K range. I wouldn't know, as I haven't heard any. I did listen to a few speakers in the 1K range, and I think the P1s are definitely comparable. The auditions were on totally different systems, so I can't say that they were obviously better - for instance, I'm using a tube preamp and amps, and I heard the SF Concertino and Dynaudio 52s on a Rotel pre/power system - not really an apples to apples comparision.

As far as JBL goes - I preferred the Paradigm Mini Monitors to the comparably priced JBL's that I listened to. Again, not a completely fair comparision, because one was at Best Buy and the other was at a "real" audio store. I also liked the NHT SuperOne, and heard that and the Paradigms side-by-side for about 2 hours before I finally picked the Paradigms. (this was in 2000, so the Axioms weren't out yet, AFAIK, and I haven't heard them anyway). I found the JBL S38 pretty impressive though, and it totally outclasses pretty much everything else Best Buy sells.

Not bright or harsh, but not quite as lively as I am used to with the Minis. I can't put my finger on it, but I prefer the tweeter of the Mini.
That would be exactly my comment too. The Paradigm Mini Monitors convey the energy in the music in a way that very few other speakers in its price range (that I've heard, obviously) can do. The first time I heard the Mini Monitor, it just brought a smile to my face, and few other speakers have done that. Not even the Paradox 1, for that matter - in fact, I was actually pretty disappointed when I hooked it up for the first time. It took a few days of playing for the sound to settle down, and then it was marvellous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks