What's new

Why do DVD players do this? (1 Viewer)

Dan Whalen

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking through my instruction guide for my DVD player last night and I noticed something weird. Why is it that you put a regular one sided CD or DVD in with the play side down, but a two sided CD or DVD you put it in with the side you want to play up? I just found that strange. Anyone know why?

Dan

Ike

Screenwriter
Because the actual data for that side is on the downside. But that would be confusing to explain to people.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Because you don't. :)
A two sided disc is labeled on the opposite side from the playing surface, ie, if you are playing side A, the playing surface is on the bottom, while the label is on the top.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Laserdisks work the exact same way. It makes perfect sense if you think about. Ignore the fact that you know the bottom is being read and treat it the way you treat an LP. Then again, there may be people here who've never played an LP so my point may not make sense to them.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
I've explained this to my wife a million times, I still don't think she gets it. The solution was simple: I put double-sided discs in the machine. :)

BillG

Agent
How about explaining it to her this way? ...
You always put the disk in so that the label of the program you want to play is up.

E

Eric Kahn

I still have a turntable

double sided disk are no problem, if it says widescreen on the top, I exspect widscreen to be on the tv, just like cd's and albums, the label facing up is what is playing

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks