What's new

3D WHV Announcement: Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3-D (DVD/Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I haven't been keeping up with the news on this release and so I was quite shocked to read just now from Ron P above about the lossy track.

My dad went out today and picked this up too so it's too late for a no sale from me.

Are they on crack over there at Warner? What was their excuse this time for no lossless track?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
same reason as the other recent releases, Get Smart for one.

the dvd was already in production and there was n't time to add or create
a lossless track.

at least that's what's being said in the other topics about Warner.
I'm not buying it.

I just watched this movie yetserday, while the sound was very good, it want't great, as it should be.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Hmmm, yeah, sounds like the ol' "The dog ate my homework" excuse to me.

I also didn't know about Get Smart, either. :frowning:

I've got to start spending more time in this area.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I am sorry to say but I do not buy the 'already in production' excuse any more. For god's sake this is a movie that was released in July of this year, a full SEVEN months after Warner went Blu-Ray exclusive. I think they gotta be kidding if the really want us to believe that the Blu-Ray for this movie was already in production, rather the encoding had already been done last year. There is absolutely no acceptable excuse for a Blu-Ray to be released without lossless sound. Whatever happend to the, 'High Definition Picture & SOUND'? If the production lines for BD50 are an issue, then delay the damn release, but do it right.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
My dad and I watched it tonight, not bad, we watched the 2-D version and my main complaint with it was that most of the time the actors appeared as if they were in front a green screen with the backgrounds looking not very convincing.

After thinking about it, though, I realize that this was probably the unfortunate byproduct of watching a film that was designed for 3-D in 2-D. To satisfy my curiosity I watched a couple of the more elaborate action sequences in 3-D and I must say that it wasn't too bad at all, some things actually did seem to pop out, like the sequence with the glowing birds for instance.

While i'm sure the theatrical 3-D was much better (i'm now sorry I missed that) I have to admit that as far as 3-D home viewing goes i've seen worse, it also fixed my complaint about the backgrounds, it's obvious they did that on purpose to make Brendan and the cast 'stick out' from the backgrounds and surroundings.

I would recommend giving it a shot.

Mind you I viewed the film on my 60" Mits and was sitting about 8-9' from the screen so your milege may vary depending on screen size and viewing distance.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
try the 3D scene in the beginning with the bugs or even with the rocks or flying fish. this film can't be seen without the 3D (imho).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
^^I watched the entire film in 3D the next day and I agree 100%. The film looks flat, fake and uninteresting when watched in 2D.

Point is, don't write the home 3D effect off just because it hasn't really worked in the past, it works pretty well here and should be given more positive attention.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i saw it in the cinema 3-D using the real3d polarized glasses and it was AWESOME, i can't imagine watching this any other way. while the home anaglyph is step down, it's still worth enduring the loss of detail and color for the effect. i zipped through the 2D version and was like... this is just not a 2D movie at all.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

Also add poor black levels and severe ghosting in darker scenes. The biggest offender is the scene where Trevor is at Hannah's door when he and Sean arrive in Iceland. Looking out the door into the dark, I could see a complete ghost of the entire frame to the immediate right of the actual image onscreen.

In several later scenes there was either ghosting or EE, I couldn't decide which. Perhaps this was a by-product of watching the 2-D version but it was very distracting to the point of ruining the experience. :thumbsdown:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Like i've alluded to, this film simply doesn't work in 2D and it really wasn't meant to, it was envisioned, designed and shot for 3D and needs to be seen that way.

The film has a brighter exposure on purpose because the 3D effect works better when the bright level is higher which explains the overly bright 2D picture, they even tell you to turn your bright level up to gain maximum effect for 3D viewing.

It might be taking it to an extreme but in this way it's like watching a film in pan and scan when it was meant to be watched in anamorphic 2.35:1, the intent is completely lost in pan and scan just as the intent is lost here in 2D, that's how I personally feel about it anyway.

My point is don't judge the film based on seeing it in 2D.

It's interesting to note that after the kick I got out of watching JTTCOTE in 3D I decided to break down and pick up The Polar Express in 3D on Blu and I thought that it was just the opposite, it just doesn't look very good, and isn't convincing, in 3D but looks spectacular in 2D.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
polar express was done to appease both 3D and 2D audiences with most of the release being in 2D only. very experimental back then.

but this one isn't. it's pretty much a 3-D ONLY movie.

BTW panasonic wants to revise the spec to include 3D now:
Panasonic puts forth proposal for 3D standard on Blu-ray Disc - Engadget

profile 3.0 anyone? :laugh: it's FINALLY happening. that means we'll be buying polarized LCD/OLED displays and front projectors in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks