What's new

Whole-house distribution? (1 Viewer)

Scott Stevens

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'll be moving into our new house in March, and I'd like to hear some suggestions on the best way to distribute AV signals to other rooms. I'll be setting up my HT in the family room, and I would like to be able to use my receivers "2nd room" output to other rooms in the house. I noticed Parts Express has a couple video ditribution boxes, but what's the maximum cable length run for composite video? I would probably run from the family room on the first floor to the distribution panel in the basement, and then from there to the bedrooms on the second floor, etc. Anyone have any suggestions?

Joshua Marks

Auditioning
Scott,

I am a custom installer in Houston and I hope that your home was pre-wired. For composite video if you use a RG6-Quad cable and put rca ends on the end of it it can go close to about 120-150 feet before and decernable degradation. Boosters are available. For audio signal you will need an rca wire, I prefer one that has a good drain wire as well, Monstercable does make some good interconnect that is CL3 rated for long runs.

Good luck

Joshua

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
I'm on the same page as Joshua. I hope you've pre-wired, because retro's are a bitch.

I'd run cat-5, Quad-shielded RG-6, and a good shielded speaker wire from your head-end(you'll need to choose that location with your installer), throughout the house. CHannel Plus is the most widely known video dist. gear. For sound, you'll mostly be running locally to the room(you run a line-level signal to an amp in the room and from there distribute it to your speakers in that room).

Good Luck!

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks