What's new

Who would like My Bloody Valentine on dvd uncut? (1 Viewer)

Raymond Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Who would be interested in a uncut version of this film being released? If so...please cast your vote/opinion...if not,don't bother as i want to see how many repiles in favor of it,that this thread recieves & plan on showing it to Paramount, to show interest in this title(uncut).
Theres talks of this being the next big campaign for uncut dvd release(& this poll is a start),once the Friday the 13th part VII campaign is done(which won't be for awhile)....this film was just as heavily butchured as The New Blood & truly deserves a uncut release as this is one of the best slasher films to come out of the 80's,with the only thing bringing it down is it's horrendous censorship.....everything got hacked out,that the movie does'nt deliver the shocks it originally had. Which is a shame as this film is really well made & very creepy.
You have my vote for a uncut release!
Heres a list of whats missing,taken from imdb.com & is acurrat(though missing a few deaths as all-11 or so- were cut)....though i did some researching & corrected one bit of information in ( ).
The only version now in existence seems to be the USA "R" rated version, which, like Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981), suffered heavy cutting. The uncut version apparently played UK cinemas on its original run on a double bill with Tobe Hooper's Funhouse (1981). (note....according to Hysteria a UK site...the only difference between it's theatrical & video versions compared to the US R version was the killers arm getting ripped off was intact!)
The following scenes were trimmed or re-edited to avoid an "X" rating from the MPAA:
Gore was cut from the pre-credits sequence where the woman is pushed backwards onto a pickaxe.
Mabel's mutilated body was originally on screen for much longer.
The scene where the bartender is playing peek-a-boo with the Harry Warden dummy was edited so that no blood is shown. He was pickaxed up his chin and out his left eye, then dragged along the ground with his eyeball hanging out.
The face-boiling of Dave was shortened so you don't see the after-effects while he is dying.
Graphic head-on shots of Sylvia's shower impalement were deleted.
A stock footage close-up of the miner's light being shown at the camera replaces the bulk of a shot of Hollis' bleeding face after he has been nail-gunned. In the widely-seen release, the scene picks up after Hollis has mostly turned away.
Howard's hanging is shortened. In the original print, he was decapitated. The decapitation was cut out, so it looks like his body just falls, stops short when the end of the wire is reached, sprays blood all over Patty and Sarah, and then resumes falling. Not only do the cuts imposed render the scene senseless, but they also make it so there's no payoff to Hollis' earlier comment that Howard would lose his head if it weren't attached.
Axel's left arm gets trapped under rocks in the cave-in at the end. He rips it off to get away, leaving his limb behind to horrify everybody else. But since the key footage of the arm removal all had to be removed itself, it is hard to see exactly what happened.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I fully support "uncut" horror flicks on DVD, but I doubt that Paramount has movies like Friday the 13th Part 7 and My Bloody Valentine at the top of their to-do list, although I am familiar with your "Uncut New Blood" campaign and I wholeheartedly salute your diligence.
As far as classic slasher flicks go, I think MBV is a damn entertaining movie. I'd love to see it on DVD. Your best bet would be to draw up one of those online petitions and publicize it all over the place. It never hurts to try.
And thanks for the scoop! I had no idea that so much footage had been cut from this old chestnut.

Will K

Screenwriter
This one's a no-brainer for me. I'm a sucker for 80's slasher flicks and MBV is one of the most underrated ones. Unfortunately, as stated above, it is one of the most heavily cut - ever.
I really do hope Paramount has a change of heart when it comes to this and other catalog horror titles. In the year 2002, it's just silly these films haven't yet been presented uncut. I've already said before that I personally don't have any plans to purchase a DVD of the R-rated version. The cuts are just too much. It might sound nuts to those who snicker at these films, but Paramount, if you're listening, I'm willing to pay full retail for uncut releases!

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
You suckered me in. I thought you were asking about the band "My Bloody Valentine", and probably referring to a concert or some such. If you had been, I'd suggest that it's likely that nobody here has equipment which could go LOUD enough to do that band justice. I wonder if anybody else here knows what the heck I'm talking about...

Martin.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Can't help but add my name to this and the other list of Paramount Horror Titles that are needing to be released in their proper forms.

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
I once saw My Bloody Valentine open for Dinosaur (jr.) and Dinosaur sounded positively quiet after that sonic assault. Buckets of fake blood were pouring from my ears.
I would say "hear, hear" for some My Bloody Valentine on DVD, but I've suffered from severe tinnitus since that day.
I just think Kevin Shields needs to stop smoking so much pot, and make another album. Loveless is sublime, but it has been a long damn time.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
JAY,
I'VE SEEN THEM TWICE, AND MY HEARING IS FINE!! ;)
j/k...
I really doubt there will be another MBV release. Very sad. :frowning:
Martin.

Eric Wickitt

Agent
A. I'm with you Jay, My Bloody Valentine is seriously one of the loudest rockshows i've ever been to...(and one of the best too imho)

B. Put me down for the 'uncut' Bloody Valentine film as well... (also one of the best in the genre imho!)

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Being a major fan of mystery novels and Agatha Christie and all things related, I must admit that I too would love for this film to be released on DVD sometime in 2002.

Uncut is the only way to go, as I remember this one being edited to the point of being laughable. It marred what was otherwise a well-photographed (especially with the eerie atmosphere down in the coal mine) mystery film (call it "slasher film" if you want to, but all movies of that sort owe a great debt to the Agatha Christie mystery novel AND THEN THERE WERE NONE) that deserves the best treatment possible on DVD.

Count me in too, Paramount. Only uncut though.

Raymond Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I know these may not be on Paramount 'to do" list.....but i do think movies no matter what the fanbase/boxoffice take...should be given the proper treatment. Especially if there good underrated films..it could help them become known more as well.
The F13th series continues to be rented constantly and or bought on dvd/vhs. My Bloody Valentine is a classic film & has a pretty good cult following...but unfortuneatly is one of the most butchured films ever & a uncut version has never been released anywhere!
So rather than sitting back..knowing huge amounts of footage has been hacked out & not being able to do something. I thought it's time to show them what we really want & hopefully they'll get the treatment they deserve & finnaly can be seen in there uncut versions as always intended.
+ Since this is Paramount here..it will be a tough battle as is well known with requesting 1 Friday the 13th uncut right now is going on & on...but theres a good chance...it may succeed since more people are now aware ofit & the studio can see that there are alot of peopel out there intersted in uncut films. now all they have to do..is be smart & release the movie uncut,at least give it a try....the director's involved & wanting to get this done as well!
Also the reason i have'nt bothered with a petition yet is because Paramount is
to suspious & thus doesn't trust petitions & i'm sure doesn't read emails as well(as lots have emailed about the uncut Friday 7..but they claim to have not gotten any).
So a letter writting campaign may work....but first it'd be best to contact the director & maybe we could get something set up with him...like with Friday 7..where the letters now go directly to him & he'll take them into Paramount himself for a meeting(if enough write in)...thus making it harder for them to ignore & say they didn't recieve any...as lots have sent letters to the studio itself on Friday 7..a studio rep claims to have not recieved any-many letters....but on a update from Buechler..he was old by someone at Paramount,that they now have a huge file on the topic!....so who knows which is the truth & which isn't.
Anyway.....i've been brainstorming some ideas & letting a few people know & once the Friday 7 campaign is officially over..then we'll get started big time on My Bloody Valentine.....though we could start small right now with a petition & so on..just so people slowy become aware & it starts building up like the Friday 7 campaign.
+ theres some good news on the censored footage....someone else is also on the search for the uncut footage & has found out some interesting news. All of the censored footage was included on a seperate reel & sent to every country the film was shown! So the footage is out there somewhere:)
A couple uncut pics can be seen at www.diabolical-dominion.com in the cut scenes section + theres a couple more at Hysteria,which is a UK site.sorry i don't know the adress.
Theres a small chance if found & Paramount doesn't(hopefully) have the rights for overseas....that a uncut version could be released there....but we'll still have to fight for region 1!!!
Also one more thing.....it doesn't make sense thata studio would hold onto various films...including ones they(claim to) hate & wish where never released by them(s Paramount seems with F13th)....yet they will abolutely not sell the rights to another studio!...the least they could do is sell the rights for the uncut versions,while they keep the 'censored' versions for release. Now who thinks that is a better way to handle it(if they can't do it themselves)...rather than leaving the footage rot away with no chance of a uncut release?
I think i'll start crusading against censorship:).....theres plenty of films out there that deserve uncut releases!

rhett

Supporting Actor
Hello Mr. Blythe, just wondering if you had any news about My Bloody Valentine coming to DVD (uncut or not). Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks