1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

April Fools Day (1986)... The Real Killer 3rd Act was indeed filmed...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ryan Wishton, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Any 80's horror fan has probably seen the movie April Fools Day... Anyways, it has been discovered that there was actually an entire 3rd act of the movie filmed, but not released... The movie as we know it ends with the revealing of the joke ending... But, thats not really where the movie ends afterall...

This link includes a complete description of who the real killer was as well as some actual shots and a description of the 3rd and final act... *Spoilers*

http://www.sleepawaycampfilms.com/sl...lostscenes.htm

It is also discussed in a book called "Going To Pieces: The Rise And Fall Of The Slasher Movie"

Here is a partial description according to a message board member of the Arrowinthehead site about the book description:

""Going To Pieces: The Rise And Fall Of The Slasher Movie" April Fools Day!!! They revealed that there was a third act filmed for the movie but not used!!! As we know, the movie ends stating that it was all an April Fools Day joke. The third act began with one of the group actully turning into a killer and killing... No one would help anyone because of the joking... It was like crying wolf!"

Maybe if the Friday the 13th DVD's sell well, Paramount will look into releasing the uncut editions of April Fools Day, My Bloody Valentine (The Uncut Reel was found), etc... They are running out of back catalogue horror titles I believe so maybe they will revisit some as special editions in the future...

I would like to see this as it seems like an entirely different movie...

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Wow,
    It's hard to imagine that they would do this considering the whole film is build up to the fool ending. They even play off the expectation that there will be a killer with the bed gag.

I'd love to see it, but I can't imagine it would have been the fun curiosity that it was if there was a real killer.

3. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

In a way, I think it might have been interesting... We would all have thought it was still just a joke...

We wouldnt have known if what was going on was real or not... The movie could have played a big trick and turned the rules against us...

I would love to see this 3rd act added to a future special edition DVD (if one does come out)...

Fans of the film could then judge what version of the movie they like better...

It actually wouldnt kill continuity either, because it is an extension to the movie... Not replacing the movie as a whole... I believe it was probably in the script as well, so it was probably the writer and directors original intention...

Maybe they cut it due to time... I dont know...

None of us knew what happened after the final shots... I would have never guessed more did actually happen... This is the first time I have ever heard or known anything about this... I have known about this movie since the late 80's...

4. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Damn, I'd love to see that! That would make the film even more interesting, and it would be a true treat. I think it would work well, and its a shame they didn't keep this in the film. I'd love to see a rerelase to see this added.

5. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

i remember thumbing through the paperback adaption at the time, and the "third act" the website linked to above talks about was the ending of the book as well.

kinda like how the Pretty in Pink novel had the original ending, with Sam and Ducky together, dancing.

6. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Cryer and Ringwald ended up together in the original treatment of Pretty in Pink? Not sure I like that. Ducky' unrequited love is what gave that movie its kick.

7. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

yep. something like "twirling and twirling" together on the dance floor.

i don't know if it means they ended up as a couple, but for that night at the prom, it was the two of them, and the rest of the world didn't matter.

8. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Hughes said he changed the ending in the movie because he didn't want to convey the message that cross class relationships didn't work out.

9. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

i think it's more likely that test audiences didn't like it that andi(why did i call her sam earlier? at least i knew she had a guy's name.:b ) and blaine didn't end up together.

10. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Also, ringwald was supposedly sick through the shoot of the original ending, and didn't look as nice, or something.

11. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

figured why i called her sam. 16 candles. for some reason, that was the name that came into my head.