What's new

Who Plays Disc Golf (1 Viewer)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Plan on playing McIver and Timber park and Dbney... Have you played Pier yet? Pretty nice works its way through a stand of tall fir trees. would be a great course for a hot day
Haven't played Pier park yet (there is a tourney there this weekend) since it was just put in ~ 1 month ago.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Lary,

I suggest you play Heistand some weekend. A nice variety of terrain as well. Much cleaner than Elver with all it's garbage and vandalism. Hawks soar abound, too! My next road trip is either going to be Anna Page in Rockford, The Baraboo that you mentioned, or Token Creek.

You should get up to Appleton. There are three courses all within 15 minutes of each other. The 27 hole course on the North end of Appleton is the "cat's meow". Whoever set that one up knew what he/she was doing. Just beautiful.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I would think they would have them... If not the good ol internet is a great place to find them... there are several disc sellers on ebay.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Rob,

Check to see if your college sells them. UW Parkside by me has a beautiful course and the Student Union sells disks inside.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Say, where is a good place to buy the discs?
If you know what you want then there are some good stores online. Your best bet would be to locate a tournament and show up. Usually there are a few people selling discs for costs significantly cheaper than a department store. They also play with them & know what they're talking about...

Ryan T

Second Unit
Wow, I just got on tonight and decided to start a thread asking if anyone played disc golf. Imagine my surprise when I saw this one. I've started regularly playing disc golf with my dad over the past few weeks. I absolutely love playing. It's very relaxing and I get some exercise walking the course (over a mile long). I've been buying a few discs to experiment with lately. I'm having a bit of trouble finding a long range disc that I can straiten out yet still be predictable. I've been throwing a 170 Gram JK Pro valkyrie for my drives. It is extremely predictable but it has a nasty left hook at the end of it's flight. If i throw it hard enough and low enough to the ground it doesn't hook to much. I also like the KC Pro Cheetah. I use it for shorter drives most the time. It seems to fly a lot like the Valkyrie but just doesn't go as far. Anyone got any suggestions on a good straight flying driver? I bought a millennium JLS but I haven't really thrown it too much. From what I can tell it does fly straighter but it's more unpredictable sometimes it goes straight other times it goes left or right. Also any suggestion for a good side arm disc? I've been messing around with throwing sidearm, I can't throw as far as my backhand throw but it's good for right hook shots.

Thanks,
Ryan

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I throw a 150 and a 170 valkyre and trow it sidearm.. funny thing is I can double my distance by throwing side arm... that is If I keep the disk flat.

If I get enough stink on it, it will break to the left come back over to the right and then head back to the left... Kinda like a big phat S. Check out Innova discs they have a nice breakdown of all their disks.

Just picked up a Cheetah, a Dragon and a Arch Angel but Have not had a chance to throw them.

Ryan T

Second Unit
I really like innova discs. I have a DX Roc, Champion Avair putt/approach, KC Pro Cheetah, DX Cheetah, DX shark and my Valkyrie. I also have that millennium JSL plus a Polaris long fade, I think they are also made by Innova. I'm thinking about trying a Teebird out. They are supposed to fly fairly straight. I noticed you throw side arm further than back hand. I'm the exact opposite lol. I can throw a Valkyrie around 300 to 350' on a flat field backhanded but with sidearm I only throw about 260 max. Have you ever tried a power grip with your backhand throw? I've been practicing with it and it increased my distance considerably. BTW I found a lot of good info on these 2 sites.

www.kenclimo.com

http://www.geocities.com/discdrivermagazine/Tips.html

I've been thinking about picking up a dragon for my friend. He is about 4' 10" and skinny. He has been throwing a 177 Gram Scorpion but he doesn't get it to go as far as he wants. He also throws his disc sidearm because he gets much better distance with sidearm. I figured the Dragon would be better for him since it's only 150 Grams. So let me know how it flys. Also, how does the 150 Gram Valkyrie compare to the 170? I would imagine it flys much further but is it harder to control?

Thanks,
Ryan

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
The 150 dragon flies quite nice... my wife threatend to steel it from me... (I knew I should have got it in a 165) I think it is comparable to the Valkyrie but a little straighter.

I like the 150 Valk better than the 170 but.... If its a little windy the 170 will do better for me. I dont notice any controll diferences between them.

I am still a beginner so I am still trying to figure the discs out and try to throw them properly. I think that makes a big difference. I really want to get consistant befor going for the big distance throws :D

"4' 10" and skinny" = 150 class discs. :D I have a friend who is prob. 6'0" and 250+ and he throws 150 discs. I guess its all in what you like.

Thanks for the links

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
About the only thing different weights will do for you are help you out in breezy conditions. A wind from behind, and you'll want to throw a lighter disk so it carries. A wind at your face, and you'll want to throw a heavier disk so it cuts through.

Ryan T.- If you are throwing between 300 and 350 consistantly after only a few weeks of regular play, that's awesome. Keep it up. I'm 6'8", 225 lbs, and have been playing at least every week for seven years. I still struggle to throw that far.

Ryan T

Second Unit
Ryan T.- If you are throwing between 300 and 350 consistantly after only a few weeks of regular play, that's awesome. Keep it up. I'm 6'8", 225 lbs, and have been playing at least every week for seven years. I still struggle to throw that far.
I'm home schooled so I can get my school and work chores done by lunch time mostly. I'm really lucky to have a park within walking distance of my house that has a big open field. So I've been practicing/playing a lot. I practice every onther day for the most part. a few weeks ago I practiced drives every day for a week but I felt like I almost pulled a muscle at the end of the week. Some of those days I practice for around an hour just throwing drives. I usually get to go to the disc golf course 3 times a week. Thats what I ment by playing regularly. I can't always throw 300' or more but I can 7 outta 10 times I throw. I think the farthest I've ever throw was around 350' but that was luck. I have a friend that has a regulation size soccer field right next to his house. We go there to practice throwing a lot. I can throw from goal to goal on most of my throws. Sometimes I throw a bit past the goal sometimes I fall short. So I'm not consistently throwing that distance and my aim is not very good when I throw that far. I usually get withing 10 to 20 feet of the other soccer goal. Another thing that I think really helped me was going to Kung-Fu for a few years. A lot of the Kung-Fu technique can be transfered into disc golf. Especially the extra wrist snap when you release the disc and the whip like motion of your arm. When I was around 10(17 now) my dad would like to take me and my brother to play about once a month but sometimes we would not go for a few months. I just really started playing around middle of last month(every day or ever other day). Anyways sorry for the long post :).

Ryan

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Thats great Ryan. I probably have problems throwing over 300' because I have zero wrist snap. I threw the discuss in school, and while the techniques are world apart, neither one really requires any wrist snap. (Probably why I can't throw a baseball over 60mph, too):frowning:

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Lock your wrist... you'll get more control that way. If you bring your arm through the release properly then you will snap the disc automatically.

Ryan T

Second Unit
Well, I just got done playing a 9 hole round of disc golf with my friends. I went out and bought a few discs before i played. I got a dragon, 172 Gram Pro Teebird, 166 Gram Grimlin, and a 170 gram 1st run beast. I didn't get to throw the dragon much since my friend used it the whole time. He was using a 176 Gram scorpion but not getting good distance. Anyways he threw much much better with the dragon. Almost 2 times as far as before on some holes. I threw it 2 times but from what I can tell it really does fly pretty far. It seems a bit understable at high speeds but it pulls around to the left at the end so it balances out. I did throw the Teebird a bunch and i think i finally found my predictable straight driver :). It does still have a slight hook but thats to be expected. All in all i'm happy with the light disc. It's pretty good for drives over water since it floats. I almost lost my Valkyrie last week in the water. I threw it right in the middle of this small pond but it skipped about 12' right to the shore!

I found a few places on the internet that had downloadable video clips of pros throwing drives. It really helped me a lot to see how other people throw. Here are the links

http://www.disclife.com/dj020415a.shtml

http://www.wrightlife.com/clinic.php

On the second one when Scott shows a backhand hyzer throw. I throw very similar to that. I bring my arm straight back and then pull it straight across my chest and snap at the end. Also watching the different run ups of the pros in the first link really helped he with mine. Before I had a ridiculously long run up that actually hurt my throw. I finally figured out how to shorten it to 3 steps which helps a lot. Anyways I just thought i'd share those clips because they really helped me a lot.

Ryan

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Also watching the different run ups of the pros in the first link really helped he with mine. Before I had a ridiculously long run up that actually hurt my throw. I finally figured out how to shorten it to 3 steps which helps a lot.
Yes, a 3 step approach is usually adequate. People with long run ups tend to plant their foot (thus stopping all of their momentum). Explode through the throw (you can step over the front after release). I've seen pros throw 450ft. with just a single step...

Adam Krogul

Stunt Coordinator
so i come home from school for the summer and find out that the park next to my house has a dinky 9 hole course. its a really new park with little trees and i figured it would be a great place to practice. well my first run on the course and on hole number 7, I ACED IT! i was jumping up and down. my lucky stingray started off left, and then broke right, right into the basket 250 feet away... i thought i would share my happiness. I never thought i would ever see the day and then BAM!

happy golfing guys,

and thanks for the helpful tips.

Ryan T

Second Unit
congrats on that ace. I have yet to get an ace. There is 1 hole at my course that I miss by about 2 feet every time! It's very frustrating sometimes. I've even hit the post before. Theres another hole that i come close on also, I've actually hit the rim of the basket.

I was looking around and I found these.

http://www.discgolfbasket.com/newcomputerpage_004.htm

I think i'm going to have to buy one or two and build a "course" in my basement. I guess your supposed to use the mini markers with these baskets. I don't know how good quality they are but it will be fun to play with.

Ryan

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Adam - I need video proof please :D (J/K)

Congrats on the ace.... closest I have ever come..... 150' or so

I do remember once playing the other golf, that I came within 2" of the cup on a par 3 hole. man so close! Oh well!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks