What's new

who has the time and smarts. tom ,ron, svs ? (1 Viewer)

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
too tell us novices how to setup and calibrate two svs subs useing a art 351,ve test disk,stryke test disk,raido shack sound meter.step by step from the first step of useing ve to setup all speakers at 70db.im sure once this is done you could send people like me to a site and say read this first.svs could do it. i got two svs 46plus and an art comming.ive been searching for the last ten days all over the net and i got piles of info bits and pieces,pros and cons about almost everything.

gene

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
You have 2 subs, and the ART 31 on the way, huh?

OK -

Plop in VE and run the pink noise in all the channels, calibrating everything to 75 db. Do it by bringing up the volume while the noise plays out of the left main, til the meter reads 75, then tweak each individual channel to match as it comes around. Do not mess with 'LFE', just 'SUB' when that level comes around.

I'll assume you know how to get the subs up and running...

Then you begin to analyze individual frequencies.

Look for tones on a test disc that will match the bands on the EQ.

Play the system at the same level you used for the VE calibration, this time playing and measuring the individual tones. Write down what the meter says, then do some math - the SPL meter is not sensitive to deep bass -

10Hz +20.5

12.5Hz +16.5

16Hz +11.5

20Hz +7.5

25Hz +5

31.5Hz +3

40Hz +2.5

50Hz +1.5

63Hz +1.5

80Hz +1.5

100Hz +2

So, if the meter reads 70db at 25 hz, it is actually 75hz.

Do the corrections on paper.

Now you have the figures needed to tweak the EQ.

Good Luck!

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
listen guys im doing the best i can i didnt get much schooling when i was a kid went into the U.S.M.C at 17 now at 67 i think im doing pretty good, wayne im trying to work these periods and comas. give a old war vet a break. i have to take my kid to school now,its snowing here,and he cant make it thru 2 inchs of snow.i dont what we going to do if we have another real war. a saying from a old solder ILL BE BACK

GENE

WAYNE you write very good it a pleasure reading your stuff,just like reading a book. yes i can read learned how to do that last week.

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
colin

when i put in the ve disk and i get the tone that goes to each speaker its in dolby 5.1 and when that tone gets to the sub on its round trip,is that LFE,OR SUB ? if its lfe and you dont want to do that what then what.is that tone pink noise? on the stryke test disk which should i use, sine or warble? do not get FRUSTATED.

OLD SOLDERS NEVER DIE THEY JUST FADE AWAY

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
Hz

12 82

16 75

20 69.5

25 76

31 84

40 88.5

50 99.5

63 101.5

80 96.5

100 102

125 85.5 I usedthe numbers off the svs site it was easy to correct the spl numbers.these numbers are with two JVC subs.just pratcing till I get the two avs.they are both in a corner behind me.is this a bad reading? this was done with sine tones.I can get to this point with no problem.but we have to make alowences for senior moments.

gene

PS

did you notice all those big I,commas,periods,question marks

god bless america and HT

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Gene. We get a lot of smart ass kids on this forum.

In VE, I think that's LFE, and it's a mish-mash of different tones, just to get an average reading. If you bring it up to the same level as the rest of the speakers on the meter, it will actually be 1-3 db's hotter because of the way the meter reads bass.

It may not be a bad thing to have the subs behind you, as long as it's the bast place in the room. The only way to know that is to move them to every possible spot and re-calibrate and then decide if it's better than the last spot.

That reading is not so good. Deep bass isn't there in relation to 50 - 63 hz. What kind of subs? Are they in a corner?

- CM

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
colin

Igot one of those kids here 15 years a lot of those kind of years aheadof him.but he is great kid down deep,most of them are.they get better with age like a good wine,the wine has to be good to start with.

two old JVC 10 inch subs.avs advised me to put both subs in the corner or at least keep them to gether,and thats the only place.thats where the new ones are going.Igot a good steady tone at 72db.would it be much of a advantage to put a seprate tone to the sub? that would change everything,theres other tones on the disk but dont know what level there at.this ways easer.this is only pratice for the real thing when the 46 plus come.when the art EQ comes ill hook it up and try to fix some of those numbers,it should be here this week.the subs at the end of the month.

gene

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
You kind of want everything working at the same time, so that you know how the sub interacts with the mains and what happens to the loudness as you tweak.

All I know, is that I set up all of my speakers to 75db, including the sub, with VE's test tone. Then I bumped up the sub 2db. (My reciever shows the volume level on the display as [-db], so it's easy to do that.)

Then I got a bass test disc, which also has a 1-Khz tone. I got the mains singing at 75db with the 1khz tone, and then left the volume alone while I had the sub go from 20 to 100Hz, writing down the readout, then doing the math to see what it was doing. I did all of this letting the system cross everything over, mains and sub working together, using the receiver's 100hz internal crossover.

I have no EQ, and honestly the response was flat enough so that I don't seem to need one.

Maybe others can answer your questins better than me in that case. Good Luck, Gene.

PS -

Why go through all of this if the JVC's are being replaced anyway? Practice?

- CM

AlexKay

Grip
Gene,
You Quoted:
"listen guys im doing the best i can i didnt get much schooling when i was a kid went into the U.S.M.C at 17 now at 67 i think im doing pretty good..."
All I can say is "Good For You", you ARE doing pretty good!! I hope that when I'm age 67, I will still be able to enjoy Home Theater as much as I do today, and furthermore, I hope I'm still into the latest technologies that are out there, and able to understand the ins and outs too.
I respect your desire to play around with Home Theater, and get into the detail and nitty-gritty that goes with it...
There are a lot of things to know to get a HT set-up and working properly, and more so to optimize one!
Keep asking, keep typing,(You'll get better the more you type), and most of all, don't be intimidated by those that rather slam your posts instead of helping you.
In regards to your original question and having some kind of "How-To" manual on all of this, I'm sure it can be done, but someone would have to take the time and ownership to do something like this. There may already be something of this nature that exists in a bookstore or somewhere on the internet via a "SEARCH". Even if there is a manual, it would probably just be a "General How-To". It would be quite difficult to cover every possible scenerio for every environment and setting out there.
Basic speaker calibrations are typically covered in the owner manuals of most receiver manufacturers. Regarding your Stryke disc, I would suggest contacting Stryke and have them explain the method and procedure to set up your environment if it's still confusing you. Hope this helps? Hang in there and good luck!! :emoji_thumbsup:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
wayne im trying to work these periods and comas. give a old war vet a break.
Okay, someone pass me a towel so I can wipe the egg off my face.

My sincerest apologies, Gene. I would never knowingly “dis” a veteran, especially a war veteran. Believe it or not, I had you pegged as yet another college kid or early twenty-something who was just too lazy to take the time to write properly!

Just goes to show, you never can tell who or what you’re dealing with on the Internet. Of course, if I had bothered to check your profile... Hard lesson learned here – trust me, I’ll never complain about someone’s writing again!

Okay, Gene, I’m on board, willing to do anything I can to help you out here.

Sure wish you had gone for that parametric EQ, Gene. It’s more difficult to set up, but it gives much more precise results than a 1/3 octave EQ like the ART. However, 1/3-octave EQs are what I’m using, and I achieved satisfactory results.

I’ll agree with the SVS people that the subs both belong in a corner, especially since you are going to equalize them. This will get you the best all around performance – lower extension, higher volume and smoothest response (after EQ).

Colin is right, the readings are pretty bad. Peaked at 63Hz and 30dB down at 20Hz, yikes! Good thing you’re replacing these subs!

But there is good news: Notice that response smoothly falls on either side of the 63Hz peak. If this is any indication of your room’s response characteristics, it will be very easy to EQ your new SVS subs. (Ragged response [that goes up and down] can be difficult to equalize.) It looks like the ART will work fine in this room.

I noticed you’re only giving us 1/3-octave readings. Doesn’t the Stryke disc have more than that? In any event, 1/3 octave spacing is what you’ll have for adjustment, but it would be nice to see what’s happening in between those readings. It’s good that you used sine-waves for your readings. Everyone has their own opinions about which test tones to use, but I prefer fixed-tones rather than warbles.

Let us know then the ART comes in, and well practice on those JVCs!

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
gees guys you got tears comming to my eyes i was never mad at anyone im just not the type.Im a real young 67.

thanks to all you make me feel humble, and its a good feeling

gene

LIVE LONG AND PROSPOR

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Gene,

Don't take anything too much to heart. Some people on the internet use the fact that you don't know who they are to be really rude, sometimes mean. On occasion even some well intended comments can come across the wrong way.

I think that you'll find a lot of nice people here that are more than willing to help you out. Don't let a few people ruin it for you.

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
wayne

thers a whole lot more frequencys,ill do one sixth octave like you tell everyone,i guess theres more info there.

JOHN wants the computer.

ILL BE BACK

gene

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
I dont see why he has to put my name in caps. All i want to do is play everquest for a little while... Is that too much to ask??? Aw well he left his msn thing on so i just felt like messin around with it. Have a good day!!! Oh and if you play everquest go on the Zebuxorak server and gimmie some cool stuff :P . Bye bye! ;)

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
that was my son I dont know what its all about.

while I wa doing these test the meter was picking the fridge that holds my keg of sam adams no reading below 17 Hz

expect the fridge

Hz

17 68

20 72

22 76

25 80

28 85

32 90

36 91

40 95

45 96

50 105

56 105

63 106

71 106

80 102

89 98

100 100

112 100

126 100

143 93

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks