What's new

Who Didn't Win an Oscar Who Should Have? (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Carrey I could maybe see...but I'm one of the few who think that Sandler's work in PDL isn't all that impressive.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Ellen Burstyn should have easily won an Oscar for her spectacular effort in my favorite film of all time, REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, but they pathetically gave it to Julia Roberts (who I can't stand) who's acting wasn't even in the same league in my opinion.

I also think the lovely Jennifer Connelly deserved to get a Best Supporting Actress nod for her job in the film too.

I also think it was a travesty that the lovely Naomi Watts didn't even get nominated last year for her stellar work in MULHOLLAND DR., especially seeing how she deserved the win if you ask me!

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Uh lets see..how about Nicole Kidman?! Utter travesty. She had to sing, dance, act and lose her accent. All Halle Berry had to do is say lines, cry, and take her clothes off. And by the way, Halle Berry is not the first African-American to win an Oscar. Does anyone remember Hattie Mcdaniel from "Gone with the Wind"? She was also the first African-American to attend the Oscars and the first African-American woman to sing on the radio.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
And by the way, Halle Berry is not the first African-American to win an Oscar.
I think most know that she is not the first African-American women to win an acting Oscar. Heck even if people don’t remember Hattie McDaniel it was just a little of ten years ago that Whoopi won her Supporting Oscar for Ghost.

The big deal is that Halle is the first to win the Best Actress Oscar.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Curtis Hanson for one of the best films of the past ten years: L.A. Confidential. It was just bad timing. That was the year of the big boat.
I totaly agree with Jim Carrey. Although his work in recent years hasn't impressed me (Grinch, Majestic), he WAS Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon. I remember Larry King saying "Jim Carrey: Man on the Moon. He didn't win last year (Truman Show), but he's gonna win this year" If only Larry had been right.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Oh and someone that didn't deserve one: Helen Hunt just cried and got angry in As Good As It Gets. Loved the movie but her performance was really grating.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Who, that has won an Oscar, deserved it for the performance they gave for the movie they won it for?
Good question. This is becoming the exception, rather than the rule, as the awards seem to be increasingly given to reward a body of work instead of individual performance. This is why I'm rapidly losing interest in the Academy Awards. Amazing individual performances are overlooked because of the cumulative resume of other nominees. Many categories seem to be used as a "Lifetime Achievement Award" rather than a performance/role award.

And there's always the famous excuse trotted out when any young actor loses, "Well, they'll have plenty more chances to win in their career." :rolleyes:Not if that was their best performance ever, in the best role they're ever offered.

Kami

Screenwriter
So true Malcom...and this doesn't just apply to actors! It's precisely why Scorsese will win this year.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I also agree that Naomi Watts was screwed over for Mulholland Dr. The voters for the academy probably got confused by the movie and attempted to snuff it.

I think there are some people that deserve Oscars, but I'm not sure if they deserve them more than the people who won in the year they could have won for.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Robert Altman for directing Gosford Park

Mary Tyler Moore in Ordinary People

Leonardo DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Just a few travesties off the top of my head.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
And for the last word in Oscar travesties, Edward G. Robinson was never even nominated for an AA during his brilliant career.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Judy Garland for A Star is Born
Whoopi Goldberg for The Color Purple
James Stewart for It's A Wonderful Life
Marilyn Monroe for Some Like it Hot
James Dean for Rebel Without a Cause
Charlton Heston for The Ten Commandments
Anthony Perkins for Psycho

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The one I'm still not over is Caleb Deschanel's not even being NOMINATED for his glorious cinematography in "The Black Stallion." He was nominated for the BAFTA and the BSC Award (British Society of Cinematographers), and won the L.A. Film Critic's Award for Cinematography for the film.

I was only fifteen at the time, but I was shocked when I heard he wasn't nominated. "The Black Stallion" to this day has some of the most incredible cinematography I've ever seen.

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
Christopher Nolan's screenplay for Memento. (Only a completely insane person could think there was a better original screenplay in 2001.)

Jay Rabinowitz's editing for Requiem for a Dream.

Waking Life for Best Animated film.

Andrew Niccol's screenplay for The Truman Show.

Charlie Kaufman's screenplay for Being John Malkovich.

Any one of the other four best picture nominees that lost to The Greatest Show on Earth in '52.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks